Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 2016 11:01:21 -0500
Sender:
From:
Pervasive Player <[log in to unmask]>
*Hi all,*

,
  \_O___
   <5>\ \__
    / \   \__/`
    \  \
     `  `

Less than a week left to contribute your superpowers to this CHI workshop!

We've received a diverse group of submissions already -- so we anticipate
an interesting, productive, playful day in San Jose! Please consider
joining us.

                                 ** Apologies for Cross-Postings **

*------------------------------------------------------------------------------------FINAL
CALL FOR POSITION PAPERS - CHI 2016 Workshop on Pervasive
Play--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*

*Workshop website: http://www.pervasiveplay.org/
<http://www.pervasiveplay.org/>*
Final Submission Deadline: January 13, 2016

*In conjunction with CHI 2016, San Jose, CA, USA (http://chi2016.acm.org
<http://chi2016.acm.org>)---- OVERVIEW ----The infusion of mobile and
collaborative technologies into our everyday lives enables new forms of
pervasive games and play. We use the term pervasive play as shorthand for
technology-mediated, playful experiences that are tethered to our everyday
lives through the physical and virtual spaces we inhabit. It includes a
variety of game and play genres ranging from alternate reality games to
urban games to mixed reality performance and playful uses of public
displays.The goals of our one-day CHI 2016 workshop are to:*

** Strengthen and broaden the community of pervasive play researchers and
practitioners,* Explore design frameworks for creating novel pervasive play
experiences, and* Identify key research questions, methods, and challenges
for future research in this area.*

*For more details, go to pervasiveplay.org <http://pervasiveplay.org>.----
SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS ----To participate, please submit a 2-3 page
summary (CHI Extended Abstracts format
<https://chi2016.acm.org/wp/guide-to-submission-formats/>) to
[log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>that includes the
following elements:* Research summary: a 1-page summary of your research*
Superpowers: A short description of your superpowers* Inspirational
Articles: a list of 1-3 suggested articles, books, performances, or other
works that have inspired you in the area of pervasive play.(◔_◔) Check Here
<http://www.pervasiveplay.org/call-for-participation/> for more details on
how to participate!One author is required to attend the workshop and to
register for both the workshop and at least one day of the conference
(http://chi2016.acm.org <http://chi2016.acm.org>).---- IMPORTANT DATES
----Notification to Authors: January 15, 2016Camera-Ready Papers: February
12, 2016 (5pm PDT)Workshop: Saturday May 7, 2016---- THEMES ----We have
organized our workshop themes under the following three categories:* Theory
Development    - Frameworks describing core characteristics, mechanics, and
genres of pervasive play    - Research methods for studying pervasive play
   - Theoretical constructs related to pervasive play and related concepts
   - Historical roots of pervasive play    - Comparative analyses of
pervasive games & play    - Narratological perspectives on transmedia
design* Design    - Mobile and augmented reality technologies that support
context-aware games    - Design of interactive wearable technologies that
extend social and spatial boundaries of existing games and play experiences
   - Novel interaction techniques appropriate for pervasive play    - Game
mechanics and design patterns that support pervasive games and play
experiences    - Pervasive game teardowns and case studies    - Techniques
for developing and prototyping pervasive play experiences    - Toolkits for
supporting pervasive play experiences    - Application areas for pervasive
play with positive social, physical, scientific, or educational purposes
   - Opportunities and challenges that arise from bringing pervasive games
into everyday life    - International and cross-cultural perspectives on
pervasive play* Society    - Application areas for pervasive play with
positive social, physical, scientific, or educational purposes    -
Opportunities and challenges that arise from bringing pervasive games into
everyday life    - International and cross-cultural perspectives on
pervasive play--- ORGANIZING COMMITTEE ---June Ahn (University of
Maryland/HCIL Director, iSchool, and College of Ed)Elizabeth Bonsignore
(University of Maryland/HCIL and iSchool)Derek Hansen (Brigham Young
University/School of Technology)Kari Kraus (University of Maryland/HCIL,
iSchool, and Dept of English)Carman Neustaedter (Simon Fraser
University/Interactive Arts & Technology)--- VENUE AND DATE ---The workshop
will be hosted in conjunction with CHI’16 on 7 May 2016, in San Jose (CA,
USA) (http://chi2016.acm.org <http://chi2016.acm.org>).Hope to see you all
there!~ The Pervasive Play Workshop Organizers*

*(June, Beth, Derek, Kari, and Carman)*