Sender:
Date:
Thu, 2 Jun 2016 22:22:50 +0000
From:
2nd Call for Papers

MULTI-SENSORIAL APPROACHES TO HUMAN-FOOD INTERACTION
Tokyo, Japan, November 16th, 2016

Workshop held in conjunction with International Conference on Multimodal Interaction, ICMI 2016
Tokyo, Japan, 12-16 November 2016
Organizers: Carlos Velasco, Anton Nijholt, Kasun Karunanayaka, Gijs Huisman

In the workshop we are calling for investigations and applications of systems that create new, or enhance already existing, eating and drinking experiences in the context of Human-Food Interaction. Moreover, we are interested in those works that are based on the principles that govern the systematic connections that exist between the senses. Human Food Interaction also involves the experiencing food interactions digitally in remote locations. This includes sensing taste, smell, and flavor information from one place, transferring them over the internet digitally, and effectively regenerate at the destination. Therefore, in this workshop we are also interested in sensing and actuation interfaces, new communication mediums, and persisting and retrieving technologies for human food interactions. Enhancing social interactions to augment the eating experience is another issue we would like to see addressed in this workshop.

In particular, we call for research that looks into the following topics:
- Defining, recording, and transferring flavor experiences.
- Defining the methods of associating the extended sensory data (smell, taste, feel) with traditional (AV, text) data. Food as data.
- Understanding flavor perception and cross-cultural food eating environments.
- Creating multisensory flavour experiences in virtual reality systems by including auditory, haptic, smell and/or taste stimulation devices.
- Using multisensory digital devices to manipulate eating and drinking atmospheres (e.g. colour, music in the room) and factors such as food presentation (e.g. size and/or shape of the plate, smell and/or colour of the food).
- Collecting user's responses derived from flavour experiences through digital devices. For example, tracking behavioral aspects (e.g. tracking movements, eating speed, and facial expressions), and/or using psychophysiological measurements.
- Utilizing multisensory experience design, technology, and playful interactions to influence food habits and choice.
- Novel applications of food and technology in different contexts, for example during airplane flights, or space travel.
- Exploring the role of technology to enhance or otherwise influence social aspects surrounding eating behavior.

Guidelines for Papers and Submissions

We invite the submission of long (8 pages) and short (4 pages) papers. The workshop proceedings will be published in the ACM Digital Library. For more information about papers and submissions, visit our website: https://multisensoryhfi.wordpress.com/

Important Dates
Paper submission: August 1, 2016
Paper notification: September 1, 2016
Camera-ready: October 1, 2016