Date:
Sun, 16 Feb 2014 19:44:56 -0800
Sender:
From:
Miles Thorogood <[log in to unmask]>
Title: 2nd CfP, International Workshop on Movement and Computing (MOCO14), Ircam, Paris France Jun 16-17 2014.

Dear All,

We would like to announce the following Call for Papers for the International Workshop on Movement and Computing (MOCO14) located at Ircam, Paris, France on Jun 16-17 2014.

Deadline Extended: 21th February 2014.

[Apologies for cross-posting. Please distribute]

International Workshop on Movement and Computing (MOCO14)

> Intersecting Art, Meaning, Cognition, Technology

June 16-17 2014, Paris France
Ircam - Centre Pompidou

http://moco.ircam.fr

MOCO is the first International Workshop on movement and computing. MOCO aims to gather academics and practitioners interested in the computational study, modeling, representation, segmentation, recognition, classification, or generation of movement information. We welcome research that models movement, technology and computation, and is positioned within emerging interdisciplinary domains between art & science. We invite participants interested in exploring how movement experience can contribute to computational knowledge through movement modeling and representation. The workshop references the challenge of representing embodied movement knowledge within computational models, yet it also celebrates the inherent expression available within movement as a language. While human movement itself focuses on bodily experience, developing computational models for movement requires abstraction and representation of lived embodied cognition. Selecting appropriate models between movement and its rich personal and cultural meanings remains a challenge in movement interaction research. Many fields, including Interaction Design, HCI, Education and Machine Learning have been inspired by recent developments within Neuroscience validating the primacy of movement in cognitive development and human intelligence. This has spawned a growing interest in experiential principles of movement awareness and mindfulness, while simultaneously fueling the need for developing computational models that can describe movement intelligence with greater rigor. This conference seeks to explore an equal and richly nuanced epistemological partnership between movement experience and movement cognition and computational representation.

MOCO will bring together people working in interdisciplinary intersections of Human Computer Interaction, Computer Graphics, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Robotics, Affective Computing, Cognitive Science, Neuroscience, Psychology, and Artists from Media Art, Choreography, Composition, Dance and Design. The workshop aims at promoting scientific and artistic collaborations within this inter-disciplinary boundary. It will offer opportunities to disseminate emerging research works through presentations, demonstrations, and group discussions.

= Keynote Speakers
=======================================

   * Norman Badler, University of Pennsylvania.
   * David Kirsh, Professor at University of California San Diego.

= Suggested Topics
=======================================

   * Expressive movement-based interaction
   * Machine learning for movement
   * modeling movement qualities
   * Gestural control
   * Movement generation
   * Movement and sound interaction
   * Sensori-motor learning with audio/visual feedback
   * Embodied cognition and movement
   * Visualizing movement
   * modeling kinesthetic empathy
   * Somatic practice and design
   * Whole-body interaction
   * Expressive movement analysis and synthesis
   * Design for movement in digital art
   * Semantic models for movement representation
   * Laban Movement Studies and computation
   * Dance and neuroscience
   * Biosensing and movement
   * Movement expression in avatar, artificial agents, virtual humans or robots.
   * Music and movement

= Participation to the workshop
=======================================

The workshop is an opportunity to present a research or a collaborative work. Participants will have the possibility to make a presentation of the results of their research on one of the themes of the workshop, and to interact with their scientific, artistic peers, in a friendly and constructive environment.
If you are interested in an oral presentation of your work with an optional demonstration, please submit a paper.

= Important dates

> DEADLINE EXTENSION: February 21, 2014.

Submission deadline: February 15, 2014.
Review notification: March 16, 2014.

= Submission instructions

Technical papers will be evaluated regarding their contribution to the workshop themes. Technical papers should be no longer than 6 pages, and must be anonymized for review.

Optionally, authors can apply for a demonstration that will take place during the workshop. To propose a demonstration, please attach an additional page (as supplementary material) describing the demo and detailing the technical requirements. We encourage authors applying for demonstrations to submit a video describing the proposed system or performance. Authors can either provide a link to the video in the demo proposal, or attach to their submission a zip archive containing the demo proposal and video.

All papers must be formatted according to ACM proceedings template (Alternate style). Latex and word templates for this format can be downloaded here:http://www.acm.org/sigs/publications/proceedings-templates

All submissions must be done through EasyChair:
https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=moco14

= Venue
=======================================

Ircam - Centre Pompidou, 1 Place Igor Stravinsky, 75004 Paris, France,http://www.ircam.fr
MOCO14 will be co-located with the Manifeste Festival (http://www.ircam.fr/manifeste.html?&L=1).

= Workshop Chairs
=======================================

   * Frederic Bevilacqua, Ircam, Paris, France
   * Sarah Fdili Alaoui, SIAT, SFU, Vancouver, Canada
   * Thecla Schiphorst, SIAT, SFU, Vancouver, Canada
   * Philippe Pasquier, SIAT, SFU, Vancouver, Canada
   * Jules Françoise, Ircam, Paris, France

Contact email:[log in to unmask]

= Local Organization Committee
=======================================

> Ircam - STMS joint research unit with CNRS and Université Pierre et Marie Curie - Paris

   * Sylvie Benoit, Ircam, Paris, France
   * Frederic Bevilacqua, Â Ircam, Paris, France
   * Eric Boyer, Ircam, Paris, France
   * Emmanuel Fléty, Ircam, Paris, France
   * Jules Françoise, Ircam, Paris, France
   * Norbert Schnell, Ircam, Paris, France
   * Diemo Schwarz, Ircam, Paris, France
   * Hugues Vinet, Â Ircam, Paris, France

MILES THOROGOOD

Doctoral Researcher, Simon Fraser University

(Computational Creativity)

+1 778 8665106

Linked In: http://ca.linkedin.com/pub/miles-thorogood/8/b10/7b0
<http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=13231013&trk=tab_pro>