From:
Laurent Guerby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 1998 17:17:14 +0100
Bard Crawford wrote:
> [...] His slides   (http://www.mit.edu/people/eichin/ada.html)
> summarize Ada syntax, and don't really tell what was, to me,
> his main story -- which came in his parenthetical remarks.
> He repeatedly commented that Ada syntax, while a bit more
> verbose, was clearer to human readers/maintainers and give
> compilers an opportunity to provide important services not
> provided by compilers in other languages. He said that a large
> fraction of things that cause difficulty for C and C++ programmers
> just can't happen in Ada. [...]

   I feel obliged to mention again the excellent book
   (cut and paster from www.amazon.com):

 Code Complete : A Practical Handbook of Software Construction
 by Steve McConnell
 List: $35.00
 Our Price: $28.00
 You Save: $7.00 (20%)

 Availability: This title usually ships within 2-3 days.

 Paperback, 857 pages
 Published by Microsoft Press
 Publication date: May 1, 1993
 Dimensions (in inches): 9.17 x 7.38 x 1.79
 ISBN: 1556154844

   which demonstrates how Ada (compared to C and visual Basic) save
   your time by having the compiler catch most errors (but without
   saying it explicitly of course ;-).

   Did the author of the talk know this book?

--
Laurent Guerby <[log in to unmask]>, Team Ada, Linux/GNU addict
   ACT Europe <http://www.act-europe.fr>, The European GNAT Company