From:
Jeff Castellow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 23:20:52 -0500
Attention:

To Members and Friends of DC SIGAda
[Please forward to friends and colleagues]

Next Meeting:

Our Next Meeting is scheduled for Thursday, 10 February 2000
at 7:30 P.M. I am pleased to announce that David A. Wheeler
from IDA will be speaking on the Ada95 Binding to the Common
Gateway Interface (CGI). This can be a very important
technology to you if you are working with HTML pages.

The presentation will start at 7:30 P.M. (Refreshments and
Social at 7:00 P.M.) at the Lockheed Martin Corporation in
Rockville, Maryland (see below for directions).

Abstract:

AdaCGI is an Ada 95 interface to the "Common Gateway
Interface" (CGI). AdaCGI makes it easier to create Ada
programs that can be invoked by World Wide Web (WWW) HTTP
servers using the standard CGI interface. Using it, you can
create Ada programs that perform queries or other processing
by request from a WWW user. AdaCGI was formerly named
"Package CGI".

AdaCGI is open source/free software, and is released using
the LGPL ("Lesser General Public License") license. You can
use this library in proprietary programs but any changes to
the library must stay as open source.

Please see David Wheeler's Home Page at the
http://www.dwheeler.com/ URL for additional information on
the AdaCGI.

Presenter:

David A. Wheeler is a research staff member at the Institute
for Defense Analyses (IDA) in the Computer and Software
Engineering Division (CSED). He has a M.S. in Computer
Science and a B.S. in Electronics Engineering from George
Mason University. His professional interests are in
improving software development practices for higher-risk
(large and safety-critical) software systems. This includes
software risk assessment, process improvement, inspections,
object-oriented (OO) approaches, defect detection and
prevention techniques, software engineering tools and
environments, the Internet, POSIX, Ada, C++, and Java.
Besides being the brains behind AdaCGI, David Wheeler is
also the author of "Ada 95: The Lovelace Tutorial" published
by Springer-Verlag and the co-author and co-editor of
"Software Inspection: An Industry Best Practice" published
by the IEEE Computer Society Press.

     His coordinates are:

          Dr. David A. Wheeler
          Institute for Defense Analyses/CSED
          1801 N. Beauregard St.
          Alexandria, VA 22311-1772 (USA)
          Phone: (703) 845-6662; FAX (703) 845-6848
          Email: [log in to unmask]

Venue/Directions:

     Lockheed Martin Corporation
     9211 Corporate Boulevard
     Rockville, Maryland 20874

Directions:

   From all points: Get to I-270 West from the I-495 Beltway,
        1. Take I-270 West to Shady Grove Exit;
        2. Turn left at light;
        3. Turn right on Corporate Dr (at light);
        4. Turn right at end of access road
           (can only turn left or right);
        5. Go to end of driveway.
        6. The building for the meeting is on the right,
           opposite the open courtyard area.
           It is building #9211, as marked.
           Parking lots are on the left and right.
        7. Enter main lobby. Stop at guard desk to check in.

        Also, to obtain a map of the location, visit
        Mapquest at http://www.mapquest.com/, select Driving
        Directions for the destination address:

              "9211 Corporate Drive, Rockville, Md."

March Meeting:

Please also put Thursday, 9 March 2000 on your calendar for
the next DC SIGAda Meeting Robert Dewar is tentatively
scheduled to speak on an interesting topic of his choosing.

DC SIGAda Home Page:

Please visit the the DC SIGAda Web site at =>

        http://www.acm.org/sigada/locals/dc/

Please provide suggestions on the Web site and its contents.
Comments will be heeded as intelligently as they
are sincerely offered! Provide feedback via the DC SIGAda
Web site.

Business:

We will have light foods and refreshment at 7:00. The
meeting begins at 7:30 pm.

Topics for talks are welcome. Please make suggestions for
topics. Some suggested topics:

     Ada In 2000
     Ada Standardization Issues
     Ada and CORBA
     Ada and the WWW

Many thanks to all earlier participants, contributors,
speakers, advisors, and friends, who are involved in helping
to produce and attend the meetings.

Please forward this message to people who might be
interested in attending. We welcome all new members as
our attendance and interests grow.

Consider registering for inclusion on our e-mail list.
Registration instructions are provided on the DC SIGAda
Web site.

Jeff Castellow, Vice Chair (Acting Chair), DC SIGAda