From:
"Chong, Ming" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chong, Ming
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2014 18:21:40 +0000
Call for Participation: Papers & Notes
ACM  International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction with Mobile Devices and Services 2015 (MobileHCI)

Copenhagen, Denmark, August 24-27 2015
http://mobilehci.acm.org/

*About Mobile HCI 2015*

MobileHCI 2015 is the premier forum for innovations in mobile, portable and personal devices and with the services to which they enable access. There are a number of ways for you to participate in MobileHCI 2015, either by making a submission or simply attending. MobileHCI brings together people from diverse areas which provides a multidisciplinary forum for academics, hardware and software developers, designers and practitioners to discuss the challenges and potential solutions for effective interaction with and through mobile devices, applications, and services. MobileHCI maintains a small number of tracks along with a wide range of other program aspects to encourage the exchange of research results, ideas and future research endeavours.

*Important Dates*

Paper Submission Deadline: February 6th 2015, 5pm PST
Paper Notification: April 20th 2015
Camera-Ready Submission: May 22nd 2015, 5pm PDT

*Suggested Topics*

MobileHCI seeks contributions in the form of innovations, insights, or analyses related to human experiences with mobility. Our interpretation of mobility is inclusive and broadly construed. Likewise, our view of contribution encompasses technology, experience, methodology, and theory—or any mix thereof, and beyond. We seek richness and diversity in topic as well as approach, method, and viewpoint. If you can make a convincing case that you have something important to say about mobility, in all its many forms, we want to see your work. In no particular order, this includes contributions in the form of:

- Systems & infrastructures. The design, architecture, deployment, and evaluation of systems and infrastructures that support development of or interaction with mobile devices and services.

- Devices & techniques. The design, construction, usage, and evaluation of devices and techniques that create valuable new capabilities for mobile human-computer interaction.

- Applications & experiences. Descriptions of the design, empirical study of interactive applications, or analysis of usage trends that leverage mobile devices and systems.

- Methodologies & tools. New methods and tools designed for or applied to studying or building mobile user interfaces, applications, and mobile users.

- Theories & models. Critical analysis or organizing theory with clearly motivated relevance to the design or study of mobile human-computer interaction; taxonomies of design or devices; well-supported essays on emerging trends and practice in mobile human-computer interaction.

- Visions & wildcards. Well-argued and well-supported visions of the future of mobile computing; non-traditional topics that bear on mobility; under-represented viewpoints and perspectives that convincingly bring something new to mobile research and practice. Surprise us with something new and compelling.

*Submissions*

Authors of papers presenting systems and/or interaction techniques are required to demonstrate their work at the conference – provided that a demonstration is feasible. The program committee will decide upon which paper should also include a demonstration. All papers should be submitted electronically to: link
Paper Length

Papers are of variable length. Paper length must be based on the weight of the contribution. A new idea presented in a compact format is more likely to be accepted than the same idea in a long format. Exceptionally long papers (more than 10 pages) need to include very strong contributions to warrant acceptance. Shorter, more focused papers (called Notes in years prior to 2015) are highly encouraged. Papers with length disproportionate to their contribution will be rejected, for example, user studies that are not integral to the paper contribution and deemed unnecessary by the reviewers would more likely lead to paper rejection than acceptance. In exceptional cases the authors will be requested to shorten papers in the camera ready.

*Format*

All paper submissions must be made in the SIGCHI papers format.

*Program Chairs*

Hans Gellersen (Lancaster University, UK)
Ken Hinckley (Microsoft Research, USA)

*A Message from the Chairs*

If you write a good paper—present clear, well-argued and well-cited ideas that are backed up with some form of compelling evidence (proof-of-concept implementations, system demonstrations, data analysis, user studies, or whatever methodology suits the contribution you are trying to make)—then we want to see your work, and if we agree it is good, we will accept it.

We are not particularly picky about page lengths or the structure of papers. Use the number of pages you need to convey a contribution, no more, no less.

Reviewers traditionally expect about 4pp for shorter contributions, and about 10pp for long-form contributions, but these are simply guideposts of what contributors most commonly submit. If you have a great 10 page paper with an intriguing set of ideas and the references spill over onto page 12, we are happy with that. If you can convey a solid idea in 8 pages, that is fine too. A four-pager with a clearly articulated nugget of contribution is always welcome.

Finally, keep the “Wow!” test in mind: We are always happy to consider thought-provoking work that might not be perfect but clearly does inject new ideas into the discourse on mobile interaction, what it is now, what it could be in the future. We would rather have 10 thought-provoking papers that break new ground in their own unique ways, than that one perfect paper that is dull and unassailable. Send us your work. If it makes us go “Wow!” we want it. By the same token there is nothing wrong with solid work that advances the state of the art. We are excited to expand the many frontiers of mobility and we need your contributions to help us get there.

*Finally*

For more information, contact our program chairs at [log in to unmask] and/or have a look at a more detailed version of the call as well as submission guidelines at: http://mobilehci.acm.org/2015/calls_papers.html

We are looking forward to your submissions.

MobileHCI 2015 Publicity Chairs,
Derek Reilly and Ming Ki Chong