CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
GAME DESIGN CHALLENGE
11th ADVANCES IN COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT TECHNOLOGY CONFERENCE
Incorporating 9th International Conference on Digital Interactive Media in Entertainment and Arts (DIMEA)
11-14 November 2014
ACE - the leading scientific forum for dissemination of cutting-edge research and innovation in the area of entertainment computing is inviting the submission of digital games to the game design challenge that would be held as part of its 11th conference to be held in Funchal, Madeira, on 11-14 November 2014.
The ACE 2014 Game Design Challenge is an international competition that embraces all genres of games and all manners of game play. The ACE 2014 Game Design Challenge provides an opportunity for the brightest teams or individuals to showcase their amazing graphics, mind blowing mechanics, mesmerizing narratives and novel technologies on a high profile international stage. Participant teams (or individuals) may come from any background (computer science, game design, fine arts, HCI, etc.) and any vocation, the only requirement is that their submissions explore and push the boundaries of creative and entertainment technologies.
All submissions will be carefully evaluated for their creativity, innovation and design by a panel of experts. 3 submissions from each category will be selected for showcasing in the ACE Games Room. The Games Room will offer an opportunity to all conference attendees to play with the games throughout the conference and to choose the best game. All games chosen for inclusion in the Games Room will receive a Certificate of Recognition and the winning entries from each category as well as the winner by popular vote will be announced and recognized during the closing ceremony.
Submission deadline: August 16, 2014, 23:59:59 Samoa Standard Time (UTC -11)
Decision notification date: September 1, 2014.
Submission is open to any team or individual in one of the following three categories:
• Innovative Game Design: The submission will need to demonstrate novelty beyond the state-of-the-art and games will be expected to push the boundaries of game development techniques, interactive narratives, believable characters, interaction design, game mechanics or any other important aspect of game design.
• Serious Games: Submissions to this category will encompass game approaches where the ultimate goal is not just entertainment. These games can be simulations, educational tools, scientific discovery tools, healthcare, management, planning, engineering, etc. that use novel approaches towards solving specific problems in their specific domain.
• Exergaming: This category is for games that rely on tracking of body movements in order to promote fitness, engage players in healthy lifestyles via specific types of exercises or provide new approaches to motor rehabilitation.
The submission must meet the following criteria:
• Game has to be new (i.e. was not awarded prizes elsewhere) ;
• Game must be functional: reviewers and attendees should be able to play it;
• A fully finished game is not required; a playable demo or demo level is sufficient;
• If selected for showcasing in the game room at least one member of the team must register for and attend the conference and will be able to bring all the necessary hardware to run the game to the conference venue.
1. A descriptive paper using ACM SIGCHI Extended Abstract format (maximum 4 pages). The paper should describe the underlying ideas, motivations and mechanics of the game in sufficient detail to allow the panel to critically evaluate the game. Authors are encouraged to take advantage of the pictorial nature of the Extended Abstract format in describing and illustrating their game;
2. A working executable or the online location of your game;
3. A document (in PDF format) with instructions on installation, usage and any particular hardware and software requirements;
4. A demo movie of about 2-3 minutes and a maximum size of 25 MB.
Please compress items 2-4 into one (1) zip file and submit the zip file as an attachment.
Maximum size of submission should not exceed 50MB (paper + executable + video)
Submissions to the game competition are not anonymous. Please include full information about your team members and their affiliation in the submitted paper.
For any questions please contact [log in to unmask]
Hope to see you all in Funchal
The ACE 2014 organizing committee
For news of CHI books, courses & software, join CHI-RESOURCES
mailto: [log in to unmask]
To unsubscribe from CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS send an email to
mailto:[log in to unmask]
For further details of CHI lists see http://listserv.acm.org