Sender:
Date:
Sun, 2 Nov 2014 19:48:47 +0000
From:
Hatice Gunes <[log in to unmask]>
Dear all,

If you are attending ACM Multimedia'14 this week (November 3-7), we would like to invite you to the research panel discussion on 'Looking for Emotional and Social signals in Multimedia: Where art thou?' on 4th November, 2pm-3:30pm (Palm 2):
http://acmmm.org/2014/panel_discussions.html

The panel discussion will focus around the following questions:

Where and What? Where are emotional and social signals in multimedia? What are they? Do the two areas, namely Emotional and Social Signals in MM and Social Media and Presence, cover all the different types of emotional and social signals in MM?

Context or Content? What if the meaning of the content can be better obtained from the context surrounding the content? Does introducing emotional and social dimensions help? Couldn't we simply use social media to solve the content analysis problem? So for images, for example, rather than exploiting the GPS, time stamp, bluetooth information, should we be exploiting socially or emotionally relevant context such as, who you were with when you took the photo, etc.

The Scale Issue: At what scale are we formulating and providing solutions to the problem of emotional and social behaviour analysis? At the Individual, small groups, or large-scale? Does the treatment of emotional and social signals at all scales essentially address the same research problems? Or are the expertise and techniques fundamentally different? Are the expected findings and underlying theory different, why?

Closing the Gap: Has anything changed since 2006? Could or should MM Systems be designed to incorporate emotional and social signals? Where are the gaps? What are the problems that the community should be addressing? What topics should we be recommending our PhD students to focus on?

The future: If you were starting a PhD in this area, what would you choose as (one or more) thesis topic?

Hope to see you there!

Hayley Hung, Hatice Gunes, Lexing Xie, and Bjoern Schuller

---
Dr  Hatice Gunes
Senior Lecturer (Assoc Prof)
Queen Mary University of London
School of Electronic Eng. & Computer Science
Mile End Road, London E1 4NS U.K.
Phone: +44 20 7882 5349
Web: http://www.eecs.qmul.ac.uk/~hatice/