Date:
Tue, 19 Nov 2013 13:48:24 +0000
Sender:
From:
"Tintarev, N" <[log in to unmask]>
Dear IUI Community-

Elections are now open for the positions of Chair and Chair-Elect for the IUI community and will remain open through November 27.  Please vote today!  Visit the IUI community at the following URL to vote:

http://www.sigchi.org/communities/iui/

Click on the "Elections" link in the left sidebar after logging in.  You must be a full member of the community (not an affiliate) to vote.  Details about the candidates can be found below and details about these roles can be found in the governance document here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/19Qvk8E8Ynxqhs-ee0okRf2p2HdeFjnd4RUYgsTB66lA/edit?usp=sharing

CHAIR CANDIDATES

There is only one candidate for Chair.

Michelle X. Zhou - IBM Research

Biography:
Dr. Michelle Zhou is a Senior Research Manager at IBM Research – Almaden, where she manages the User Systems and Experience Research (USER) group. Prior to her current post, she was a Senior Research Manager at IBM Research, China, managing the Intelligent User Interaction and Social Collaboration group, and a Research Manager of the Intelligent Multimedia Interaction group at IBM T. J. Watson Research Center. Zhou received a Ph.D. in Computer Science from Columbia University. Her expertise is in the interdisciplinary areas of intelligent user interaction, information visualization and smart visual analytics, and analytics-driven social computing and crowdsourcing. She has published over 70 peer-reviewed, refereed articles and filed over twenty-five patents in top venues of the above areas. Her work received a best paper award in Intelligent User Interfaces (IUI) 2005, three best paper honorable mentions at CIKM 2009, IUI 2013, and CHI 2013, respectively. Zhou is active in several research communities, including Intelligent User Interfaces, Information Visualization and Visual Analytics, and Multimedia. She has co-organized/co-chaired conferences and workshops, and served on the technical program committees for key conferences in these areas. She is the general conference co-chair for ACM Recommender Systems 2014, was the general conference co-chair for ACM Intelligent User Interfaces (IUI) 2007, and the technical program co-chair for ACM Multimedia 2009 and IUI 2010. She currently serves on the IUI Steering Committee (started in 2012) and on the editorial board of three journals, ACM Transactions on Multimedia Computing, Communications, Applications (TOMCCAP), ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology (TIST), and ACM Transactions on Interactive Intelligent Systems. Zhou was named an ACM Distinguished Scientist in 2009.

Platform:
The IUI community has been my “academic home” and the annual IUI conference has been my “home conference” for the past 15 years. I have been an active member of the community in various roles, e.g., general conference co-chair (IUI 2007), technical program co-chair (IUI 2010), and a steering community member since 2012. As we are now moving to a community-based, more democratic process to govern and grow our IUI community, I would like to use this opportunity to nominate myself as a candidate for the Chair position of the steering community.

If elected, I would like to help the IUI community to grow in both near and longer term:

(1) Ensuring the continuation of IUI conference series. Work with various parties to ensure the selection of IUI 2015 organizing committee and the host city in time for its announcement at IUI 2014. Start to solicit bids for IUI 2016 and beyond.
(2) Provenance of Corporate Knowledge. Work with the past IUI steering community and the past IUI conference and program chairs to create the “IUI Conference handbook” that will document the IUI conference management processes and procedures.
(3) Community Growth. The IUI community has grown relatively slowly especially compared to some of the emerging communities (e.g., Social Media Analytics). Given the recent research and business trends that place increasing demands on both machine intelligence (e.g., big data analytics) and human intelligence (e.g., crowd sourcing), IUI methodology that marries both machine and human intelligence should charter new technical frontiers in these areas. Work with the IUI community to figure out a “growth” plan, e.g., recruiting fresh blood to IUI, publicizing IUI work to wider and relevant technical communities to boost citation counts, and further growing IUI internationally.

In short, I hope that my election to the new steering community not only will signify the start of the democratic governance of the IUI community, but will also facilitate a smooth transition in community governance, by working with my current steering community colleagues who have a wealth of corporate knowledge about our community, and has contributed a great deal to create and make the IUI community that we have today.

CHAIR-ELECT CANDIDATES

There are two candidates for Chair-Elect.

Antonio Krüger - Saarland University and DFKI

Biography: Antonio Krüger received a diploma in computer science and economics at Saarland University in 1995. Afterwards he joined the Cognitive Science Graduate Programme of the same University and finished it with a doctoral degree in 1999. His doctoral thesis was on the "Automated Abstraction of 3D-Graphics".He was early involved in several Artificial Intelligence projects at the German Research Centre for AI (DFKI GmbH), and later from 1999-2003 at the Intelligent Systems Lab of Saarland University as a Senior Researcher. In 2000 he co-founded the University spin-off Eyeled GmbH, a company focusing on mobile computing solutions. Within the company he is responsible for the technology transfer of university research. From 2004 to 2009 he was an associate professor for Geoinformatics and Computer Science at Münster University, Germany. From 2005 to 2009 he was the managing director of the institute for Geoinformatics at the same University. Since 2009 Antonio Krüger is a full professor for Computer Science at Saarland University. At the same time he has been appointed as the Scientific Director of the Innovative Retail Laboratory at the German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence (DFKI) in Saarbrücken, Germany.

Antonio's main research areas are Intelligent User Interfaces and mobile and ubiquitous context-aware Systems.  He worked on the automatic generation of graphics for technical documentations, intelligent navigation systems and personalized media generation. In this context he looked at generation processes that take into account both the limited technical resources of output devices and the limited cognitive resources of the users. More recent examples of his research come from the domain of mobile and ubiquitous computing. Here, Antonio is involved in projects on interactive display networks, mobile augmented reality and interactive surface computing. He is currently serving on the steering committee of ACM Ubicomp and is PC-co-chair of IUI 2014

Platform:
I am more than happy to help the IUI community to find a path to a democratic way of running the community. i.e. the annual conference. I fully believe in transparent processes regarding the selection of steering committee members, General and PC chairs, and editors for the journal. I wish to candidate as chair elect, given my current committment as PC-chair of IUI 2014 which will keep me busy until next year - afterwards I am happy to take a more active role. I hope that my self-nomination stimulates the nomination process and am looking forward to a healthy competition.

Cécile Paris - CSIRO

Biography:
Dr Cécile Paris is a Science Leader at CSIRO, the national research institute in Australia. She leads the Language and Social Computing research team. She is also an Adjunct Professor at ANU and Macquarie University, and an Honorary Associate at Sydney University. Dr Paris received her PhD in Artificial Intelligence (Natural Language Processing) in 1987 from Columbia University (New York, USA). She joined the Information Sciences Institute (ISI), a research laboratory in Marina del Rey (California, USA), where she stayed until 1996, working on computational linguistics for knowledge based systems. She then moved to the UK (ITRI, at the University of Brighton, UK) as a senior researcher, working on multilingual generation systems. She joined CSIRO late 1996. Her main research interests lie in the areas of Language Technology, User Modeling and Human-Computer Interaction. She studies language and communication issues. Dr Paris' thesis research represented the first major work in user modeling and text generation, and her work on discourse planning for dialogue systems has been the basis for a number of other generation and multimodal presentation systems and research internationally. Dr Paris has published widely, and she is very active in the international research community. She has over 114 peer-reviewed articles. She is the current chair of the national professional organisation in human computer interaction in Australia, CHISIG. Dr Paris has been a member of the Programme Committee for IUI since its inception, and its co-technical chair (with Dr Candy Sidner) in 2006. She is also involved in a number of conferences, including UMAP (User Modeling, Adaptation and Personalisation), ACL (Association for Computational Linguistics) and ACL-related conferences.

Platform:
Having been involved in the IUI conferences since their inception, I would like to see the community continue to grow and maintain its multi-disciplinary dimension. My own research being at the cross roads of various community (e.g. language, user modelling, social media analytics, HCI), I hope I can be of service to help grow the IUI community, also creating connections with other communities. I thus take this opportunity to nominate myself as chair-elect of the steering committee.

ADDITIONAL VOTING DETAILS

Note that only members of the community can vote in the elections.  To become a member, visit the community link above.  Note that you must be a member of ACM and either SIGCHI or SIGART.  To become a member of ACM, please visit http://acm.org/.  If you are a member of ACM, but not of SIGCHI or SIGART, please visit http://myacm.acm.org/, login using your ACM web account, click "My Services" in the left sidebar and click "Join SIGs" near the bottom of the page.  There is a small fee to join a SIG, and SIGART is the cheaper option at $25.

If you have any questions, please respond to this message or contact Jeffrey Nichols, IUI Community Acting Chair, at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

Jihie Kim & Jeffrey Nichols
IUI 2013 Chairs