From:
Aslan Ilhan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aslan Ilhan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 2014 11:25:26 +0000
We have extended the submission deadline to 20th Nov

please consider submitting your work to the workshop on

Integrating Theories of Mind with Tangible and Embedded Interaction Design

*** WORKSHOP OVERVIEW ***
In this one-day workshop (@TEI 2015, January 16, Stanford), we will discuss the role of theories of mind in contemporary human-computer interaction research, as those might provide us with a substantial understanding of cognition and human skills. The focus will be on embodied and situated theories and possible consequences of adopting an embodied and situated perspective on the design and analysis of tangible and embedded interaction.

*** CALL FOR PARTICIPATION ***
We invite scholars and practitioners with a variety of backgrounds, who share an interest in relating theories of mind to tangible and embedded interaction design Thereby, we would like to encourage interested researchers and practitioners to provide examples of (successful or unsuccessful) design and experiences relating their work with theories of mind (e.g., embodied and situated, or representational).
The workshop addresses the following goals and questions (but is not limited to):

• How have theories of mind influenced interaction design? Do embodied theories of mind influence contemporary interaction design in the same way?

• What users’ physical (or bodily) skills do designers take into account? Do designers relate these skills with embodied cognition (and how do they relate them)?

• If cognition is social and carried out cooperatively, what could that mean for future (multi-user) interfaces?

• What consequences might embodied and situated theories of mind have on the actual act of engineering and designing?

*** SUBMISSION ***
Workshop candidates are asked to submit a position paper (2 - 4 pages in ACM Extended abstract format, which can be found at http://www.tei-conf.org/15/templates/)
The submissions will be reviewed by the organizers with support of other researchers forming a dedicated program committee and selected according to their significance for the workshop topic as well as their potential to inspire discussions. All accepted papers will be made available on the website. Please send your position papers not later than 20th Nov 2014. Please visit http://tomtei.blogspot.co.at for further information.

*** ORGANIZERS ***
Ilhan Aslan, ICT&S Center, University of Salzburg, Austria
Verena Fuchsberger, ICT&S Center, University of Salzburg, Austria
Manfred Tscheligi, ICT&S Center, University of Salzburg, Austria
Jelle van Dijk, Industrial Design, Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands