From:
kristina andersen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
kristina andersen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Dec 2014 23:22:41 +0100
Call for Participation

CHI2015 Workshop: Collaborating with Intelligent Machines: Interfaces for Creative Sound

https://collaboratingmachines.wordpress.com

Deadline: January 5, 2015!!

This workshop brings together researchers, designers and instrument builders to explore how we can reframe the way we design “machines" for creative expression. For the purpose of this event, we are focussing on the case of music, but no expertise in this field is required, and the outcomes will be useful to the broader field of instruments and interfaces for creative work.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE A MUSICIAN OR SOUND PROFESSIONAL TO JOIN US

Three opportunities/challenges are presenting themselves: The disappearing computer is putting embodiment back in the center of our concerns; intelligent agents are reaching a level of complexity where it is feasible for an interface to provide suggestions based on work practises; and finally, creative work is increasingly done in collaboration reminiscent of the classic image of musicians playing in a group. The workshop is focussed on charting these new possibilities and constraints.

We invite submissions of true position papers: what is your perspective or experience with these developments, in music or in other areas, which risks and potentials do you see; in short, what is your hunch? Position papers should be short (around 500 words) and illustrated by examples, such as existing or conceptualized instruments, images, or pieces of music. We explicitly encourage submissions to use various forms of creative outlets to express your position.

Submissions
Please send your submissions to [log in to unmask]

Accepted position papers can be presented in a brief session during the workshop. At least one author of each accepted position paper must attend the workshop and all participants must register for the workshop and for at least one day of the conference. Accepted papers and other textual outcomes will be included in the workshop proceedings and made available through the workshop blog: https://collaboratingmachines.wordpress.com

Social Event
The workshop will be followed by a social event (on the same day or the day after), where outcomes from the workshop will be presented and discussed with artists from the thriving music scene of Seoul.

Organisers