Date:
Thu, 23 Jul 2015 19:02:36 -0400
Sender:
From:
Laura Dabbish <[log in to unmask]>
*Post-Doctoral Research Position – Digital Footprints Project
Human-Computer Interaction Institute
Carnegie Mellon University*

The Digital Footprints Project is seeking a full time postdoctoral
researcher  to work with Professors Laura Dabbish and Sara Kiesler. We
are studying issues of transparency, privacy, and anonymity online as
part of a larger NSF project on new Internet architectures
(www.cs.cmu.edu/~xia <http://www.cs.cmu.edu/%7Exia>). The post-doctoral
researcher on this project will carry out original research on digital
footprints online to help inform technology and policy considerations of
new Internet infrastructures. This position will begin in Fall 2015,
with some flexibility as to start date.

To apply please send your CV (including names of references), your
dissertation title and abstract, and letter of interest to
[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> with subject line “Digital
Footprints Project – Postdoc Application”

Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the
position has been filled.

*Project background*

The Internet increasingly reveals personal information about people to
their own audiences and to third parties who may be completely hidden to
them. As recent news events show, it has become difficult if not
impossible to put walls around one’s content by communicating
anonymously or securing access from unauthorized others. These trends
are matters of debate among security researchers, politicians and policy
analysts, community designers, architects of the new Internet and the
public. It is urgent that when we create Internet architecture,
applications, and government policies, we understand the social issues
surrounding our communications online, and improve the usability and
transparency of privacy tools and policy.

Our research group is studying end-user implications of a new Internet
architecture called XIA and collaborating with other members of a large
NSF project developing this architecture. We are conducting research on
users’ perspectives on the transparency of their communications and
content online and designing interfaces and interventions to improve
their understanding of digital footprints online. As part of these
efforts we have conducted interview studies about anonymity online,
mental models of the Internet and privacy online, and surveys of privacy
attitudes and practices. A recent paper on people’s mental models of the
Internet was just presented at SOUPS’15. The postdoctoral researcher on
this project will contribute to these efforts studying end-user
implications of XIA, including privacy and security challenges
associated with the new Internet architecture. Other topics are also
possible, depending on your interests.

*Post-doctoral candidate requirements*

The ideal candidate for this position should have a PhD in
human-computer interaction, information science, psychology, sociology
or public policy with an information systems focus (or be near
completion of a PhD). Ph.D. degrees in computer science will also be
welcomed if the candidate has behavioral and social science training as
well. He or she should be able to design and conduct qualitative and
quantitative behavioral research studies including interviews, surveys
and experiments. Candidates with interface or interaction design skills
will also be welcome. Technical skills are a plus, and in particular,
familiarity with computer networking or network infrastructures would be
a big help in connecting with the larger XIA project. Familiarity with
theory and empirical research results in sociology, psychology,
communications, or organizational behavior is also a big plus. If you
have any questions about your qualifications for this position please
get in touch.