Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2014 12:15:38 +0000
Subject:
Sender:
From:
Jack Carroll <[log in to unmask]>
[Apologies if you did not receive multiple copies of this CFP; please forward to appropriate communities]
Call for Papers,
Special Issue of Interaction Design and Architecture(s) Journal (IxD&A), to be published Spring 2015
"Peer-to-Peer Exchange and the Sharing Economy: Analysis, Designs, and Implications"

Peer-to-peer exchange is the direct exchange of goods and services by citizens, mediated by a brokering entity that is typically embodied as an information system. It is an emerging paradigm that integrates economic and social interaction and is considered to be potentially disruptive to the conventional company-driven economic paradigm, creating a wide range of possibilities for innovation. It encompasses diverse services such as ride sharing (blablacar.com, carpooling.com, lyft.me, side.cr), performing everyday tasks (taskrabbit.com, airtasker.com), textbook sharing (chegg.com, zookal.com), accommodation sharing (couchsurfing.org, airbnb.com), car sharing (citycarshare.org, relayrides.com, getaround.com), sharing parking spaces (parkatmyhouse.com, divvy.com.au), local food exchanges (farmigo.com), sharing household items (yerdle.com,openshed.com.au), exchanging home cooked meals (cookening.com), sharing workspace and expertise (liquidspace.com, greenspaceshome.com,makermedia.com, wework.com), time banking (hourworld.org,timebanks.org, timerepublik.com), and municipal development (conyc.co). Many of these entities make use of otherwise wasted resources such as parked cars, empty bedrooms, idle time and thus increase the efficiency and sustainability of economic activity. And their number and size have mushroomed in just the past few years to the point where they are now referred to collectively as the “collaborative economy” (collaborativefund.com, ouishare.net,
shareable.net, peers.org).

This is a new and rapidly developing area. Most peer-to-peer exchange systems emerged in the past years or so. So we should expect papers that are primarily about new designs, adoptions, appropriations, development of practices, and direct impacts. (The main exceptions is time banking.) Thus, we do not expect highly developed or long-term research projects, but more exploratory and initial-stage work. We do not see this as a negative. Rather, the novelty and societal impact of peer-to-peer exchange will intensify interested in this special issue, and also help to attract more attention to the special issue from many relevant areas. This is part of why we want to do the special issue now, and to have it broadly accessible in IxD&A: We think this is an opportune time to present this new area and in doing that to attract more research interest and innovation in general from a spectrum of relevant disciplinary areas.

This special issue will report on and analyze peer-to-peer initiatives and their realized and potential consequences for human activities and experiences. We welcome the widest possible range of perspectives from designers and implementers to theorists and modelers to community and collaboration researchers.

Topics of Interest include but are not limited to:

- What are experiences and impacts of peer-to-peer adoption, appropriations, and repurposing?

- How are peer-to-peer exchange services organized in practice into peer-to-peer ecosystems?

- How can we measure/assess the utilization and impacts of peer-to-peer exchange?

- What are examples of current and future design innovation in peer-to-peer exchange?

- How can science and theory guide design of peer-to-peer exchange services, or provide insights into the interpretation of peer-to-peer exchange services?

- What are the broader economic and social consequences of the peer-to-peer exchange paradigm; what are implications for social policies?

The target audience for this special issue is broad. Peer-to-peer exchange is a relatively new research area, but it is rapidly developing in both commercial and nonprofit variants. We expect that researchers in all areas of HCI, collaboration, community informatics, socio-technical systems, information and interaction design, and technology policy will be interested in a concentrated contribution in this new area. Practitioners and users will also be interested as many are only now encountering peer-to-peer exchange for the first time.

Important Dates:
- Abstract Submission deadline (<150 words), by email to the editors: November 10, 2014
-Paper submission (on journal website, details to be posted): January 10, 2015

Special Issue Editors:
John M. Carroll, Pennsylvania State University, [log in to unmask]
Victoria Bellotti, Palo Alto Research Center, [log in to unmask]