From:
Jack Carroll <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jack Carroll <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 2014 18:37:05 +0000
Colleagues

I am seeking a graduate student to start a PhD in Information Sciences and Technology at Penn State next fall. Penn State's application deadline is December 15:
http://ist.psu.edu/graduate-students/future-graduate-students
http://www.gradsch.psu.edu/portal/

I am pretty widely interested in HCI and CSCW areas. My main research area now is mobile technology, especially issues of coordination and awareness, altruism and peer-to-peer exchange, and local democracy, urban planning and community informatics (aka smart cities). I have current funded projects on time banking and context aware peer-to-peer exchange, smart camera prosthetics for visually impaired persons, municipal geodeliberation and interactive tools for collaborative information analysis (all NSF; see links below). I have smaller efforts underway on Internet feed aggregation, community heritage and place making, collaborative educational technology, opportunistic political discussion, psychometrics for user experience research, and sustainable information technology. I have planned/proposed work on healthy living support for elderly people, collaborative exercise, and support for diverse student motivations in MOOCs.

Some links to projects and recent results -
http://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=1211059&HistoricalAwards=false
http://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=1218544&HistoricalAwards=false
http://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=1317560&HistoricalAwards=false
http://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=1406858&HistoricalAwards=false
http://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=1450893&HistoricalAwards=false
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1045926X13000207
http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=2491500.2491504
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1071581912001309
http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2557061<http://ci-journal.net/index.php/ciej/article/view/783>
http://www.mifav.uniroma2.it/inevent/events/idea2010/doc/20_1.pdf<http://ci-journal.net/index.php/ciej/article/view/783>
http://patshih.ist.psu.edu/publications/Shih-CommunityPoll-HCOMP14.pdf

One benefit of joining our group is that we have on board a talented crew of PhD students and post docs, who collaborate with and teach one another. We also collaborate closely with Mary Beth Rosson, Heng Xu, Guoray Cai, Eun Kyoung Choe and Steve Haynes, all of whom have active research efforts. The college of IST has another dozen or so faculty researching a wide range of HCI problems, methods and theories.

Jack

John M. Carroll
Distinguished Professor of Information Sciences and Technology
Affiliate Professor of Computer Science and Engineering, of Psychology, and of Learning, Design and Technology
307H IST Building
The Pennsylvania State University
University Park, PA 16802-6823 USA
Phone: 1.814.863.2476; Fax: 1.814.865.6426
Web: http://jcarroll.ist.psu.edu/