From:
Lucian Leahu <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lucian Leahu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Apr 2015 10:37:52 +0000
CALL FOR PARTICIPATION: One-day workshop on "Shifting Borderlands of Technoscience: Tracing Trajectories of Critical Practice"

at Critical Alternatives 2015
http://aarhus2015.org<http://aarhus2015.org/>

August 17th, 2015
Aarhus, Denmark

Workshop Website:
https://tracingcriticalpractice2015.wordpress.com/

This one day workshop at the 5th Decennial Aarhus Conference on "Critical Alternatives"<http://aarhus2015.org/> brings together junior and senior scholars in order to learn from each other how to navigate changing terrains of critical technology research and design.

The goal of the workshop is to trace out trajectories of critical praxis as encountered by the workshop participants over the duration of their careers, to help articulate the conditions and stakes of the shifting sites of critical technical research and practice, and to help scholars just entering the field to navigate their own sites and encounters. We aim to foster cohesion and build mentoring relationships within the community by creating a space for open and honest dialogue about the challenges of conducting critical research and design practice.

Since the publication of Phil Agre's seminal work on critical technical practice, the sites of intersection between computation and society have multiplied, and so too have the sociotechnical borderlands we inhabit. Critical methodologies such as "critical design", "reflective design", "critical making", "located accountability", "feminist HCI", "adversarial design," "multisited design" and "postcolonial computing" have proliferated and are being taken up in increasingly diverse political, cultural and social contexts. As the sites of critical praxis have multiplied, new regimes like big data and social computing pose new challenges. Given the fluidity of the landscape it is important for us to articulate the specificities of our scholarly borderlands.

The workshop aims to maximize in-depth collaboration between junior and senior scholars, and will hence include in-depth mentoring sessions, panel presentations from junior and senior participants, group activities, and working sessions for steps forward. Outcomes from this workshop will be a shared knowledge base about praxis, tracing the trajectories, continuities, traversals and inheritances of critical sociotechnical research over the past decade, as well as strengthening of the critical technical practice community by way of establishing lasting mentorship relations.

Position papers will be shared among participants prior to the workshop and used to generate themes for workshop panel discussions. During mentoring sessions, junior participants will be paired with experienced scholars to receive in-depth attention to their position papers. Full papers may be solicited later for a special journal issue on critical technical praxis.

TO APPLY
We welcome submissions by experienced scholars that trace the trajectories of their research praxis and the various sites of technoscience they have traversed and consider where they locate criticality in their work today. From junior scholars we seek submissions that reflect on the challenges they face in situating research in sites of technoscience and locating criticality in research praxis. Drawing inspiration from Agre's piece, we encourage personal accounts and reflections on fieldwork, design, collaborations, etc.

Please submit a 2 - 4 page position statement in the ACM Archival Format by May 15th to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. Accepted papers must register for the workshop to participate.

IMPORTANT DATES
May 15th, 2015 - Submission of Position Papers
June 15th, 2015 - Notification of Acceptance
August 17th, 2015 - One-Day Workshop at Critical Alternatives 2015

ORGANIZERS
Silvia Lindtner (University of Michigan, USA)
Marisa Cohn (ITU Copenhagen, DK)
Lucian Leahu (ITU Copenhagen, DK)
Hrönn Holmer (Cornell University, USA)
Carl DiSalvo (Georgia Institute of Technology, USA)