From:
Chauncey Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 15:31:22 EST
Colleagues,

In preparation for a panel ("User Interface Design Books: Educating the
Masses or Preaching to the Converted?") at the ACM CHI 2000 conference
(http://www.acm.org/sigs/sigchi/chi2000), we are conducting a survey of
books on user interface design.

We invite you to participate in this survey.  It will provide data for the
panel discussion and for a bibliography of UI design books, organized by
your ratings.  The bibliography will be distributed at CHI 2000, via email,
and on the Web.

Please respond before 7 February 2000.  Send your response to

into a lottery to win a UI design book.  See
http://www.uiwizards.com/PrizeBooks.html for a list of books the panelists
have donated as prizes.  Due to limited supply, we cannot guarantee that
winners will receive the book they most want.

See http://www.uiwizards.com/Readings.html for our current unrated list of
UI design books.  To name a book in your survey response, you can copy its
listing from our online list.  You may name books that are not in our list,
but we ask that you restrict your ratings to UI design books (see
explanation at end of online list).

Important: All data collected in this survey are confidential.  We will
separate your response from your email message address before analyzing the
data.  No information identifying any respondent will be published.

If you have any questions or concerns about the survey, please email

Thanks,
Panel Organizer and Moderator:
  Jeff Johnson, UI Wizards, Inc.
Panelists:
  Peter Boersma, Information Ergonomist, General Design
  Diane Cerra, HCI Editor, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers
  Susan Fowler, Fast Consulting
  Kevin Mullet, User Interface Architect, Icarian
  Jef Raskin, VP of Human Interaction, Telocity, Inc.
  Chauncey Wilson, Dev. Manager, BMC Software

=======USER INTERFACE DESIGN BOOK SURVEY ============================
Please copy this response-form into your response message.

SECTION 1:  JOB-DESCRIPTION AND TOP FIVE BOOKS

1. Please mark your primary job-activity with "1", and (optionally) any
secondary activities with "2".
   [ ] Web designer
   [ ] Graphic designer
   [ ] Usability test engineer
   [ ] User Interface/Interaction designer
   [ ] Programmer/Software engineer
   [ ] Usability/Design manager
   [ ] Industry researcher
   [ ] Academic researcher/Faculty
   [ ] Student
   [ ] Other: ____________________

2. Please list up to five (5) UI design books that you consider the best.
    You can list fewer than five.  Order in this list is not important.
   a.
   b.
   c.
   d.
   e.

SECTION 2: BOOK RATING

Please rate UI Design books you have read or used.  See the online list of
UI Design books as a reminder (http://www.uiwizards.com/Readings.html).
Rate as many or as few books as you wish.  For each book you rate, fill out a
copy of the following rating form.

-------------Book Rating Form (copy once for each book rated)---------------

Book:

1. How useful is this book as guidance for novice UI practitioners? (Mark one)
    [ ] a. Not at all
    [ ] b. Slightly
    [ ] c. Moderately
    [ ] d. Very
    [ ] e. Extremely

2. How useful is this book as a reference for expert UI practitioners?
(Mark one)
    [ ] a. Not at all
    [ ] b. Slightly
    [ ] c. Moderately
    [ ] d. Very
    [ ] e. Extremely

3. How useful is this book for educating engineers and managers about
usability? (Mark one)
    [ ] a. Not at all
    [ ] b. Slightly
    [ ] c. Moderately
    [ ] d. Very
    [ ] e. Extremely

4. To what extent does this book support its recommendations with
principles, research findings, or theory? (Mark one)
    [ ] a. Not at all
    [ ] b. Minimal (citations with no explanation)
    [ ] c. Moderate (citations with some explanation)
    [ ] d. Extensive (detailed descriptions and explanations)
    [ ] e. Too much for a practitioner's book

5. To what extent does this book provide practical examples? (Mark one)
    [ ] a. No examples
    [ ] b. Minimal use of examples
    [ ] c. Moderate use of examples
    [ ] d. Extensive use of examples
    [ ] e. Mainly a catalogue of examples

6. Brief explanation of why you like or dislike this book (optional):