From:
Margot Brereton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Margot Brereton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Sep 2015 02:36:04 +0000
Dear Colleagues and Students,

We are seeking PhD students with a human computer interaction/ co-design focus for our Australian Research Council funded project to monitor the environment through bird and frog song. The project will involve collaborating with birdwatchers, ecologists and software engineers, in order to design new approaches to bird and frog watching that also support gathering and analyzing environmental data

BIO-ACOUSTIC OBSERVATORY - ENGAGING BIRDWATCHERS TO MONITOR BIODIVERSITY BY COLLABORATIVELY COLLECTING AND ANALYSING BIG AUDIO DATA:  This project will research how to crowd-source the collection and analysis of environmental sounds (birds, frogs etc) This will enable a bio-acoustic observatory which provides a scalable, objective and permanent record of the environment, something hitherto impossible. We will investigate how to engage the community of birdwatchers to extend their pastime online with new kinds of interactive tools to enable collaborative analysis of big audio data, and new kinds of birding experiences. Outcomes will be: new approaches to physical/virtual engagement in Human Computer Interaction, new approaches to analysing big data, a new validated ecological monitoring technique and concepts for sustainable knowledge generation communities.

Applicants will be supported to apply for a full scholarship at Queensland University of Technology QUT ($26K pa) and will be eligible for a $5Kpa  top-up scholarship. NOTE THE APPLICATION DEADLINE IS VERY TIGHT. IF INTERESTED PLEASE MAKE CONTACT.

The Computer Human Interaction research discipline at QUT in Brisbane is an interdisciplinary team of 10 academics. 5 postdoctoral research fellows and 40 PhD students. We have expertise in co-design, interaction design, digital games, e-science and software engineering which we apply to develop new theories, tools and practices in the areas of health, wellness, education and environment.

If you hold a good honours degree or a Masters degree (with at least a  25% research component) or equivalent experience, please get in touch. Our research group takes a collaborative design approach working with people for whom the technology is intended in order to design technologies that fit with and enhance real people's lives.  We recognize the social context of technology use.

We seek applicants with backgrounds in human-computer interaction/computer science, interaction design, social science or other related fields. Good communication, written and verbal skills are essential. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander applicants are encouraged to apply. International applicants are also encouraged.

For further information please contact [log in to unmask] It is also helpful if you send a brief description of your capabilities and interests.  Formal applications are due by September 30th. Please make contact well before this deadline to discuss.

Sincerely,

Margot

Margot Brereton PhD | Professor | Discipline Leader Computer-Human Interaction
School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Science and Engineering Faculty | Queensland University of Technology
S Block 1003 2 George St. GPO Box 2434, Brisbane QLD 4001 Australia
Ph +61 402 263 567 | Fax +61 7 3138 1516  Email: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>