Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2014 14:31:37 +0000
Sender:
From:
Nervo Verdezoto <[log in to unmask]>
[Our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this CfP]

Call for Papers/Participation Workshop on "Designing Self-care for Everyday Life"
In conjunction with NordiCHI 2014: http://www.nordichi2014.org/
Monday, 27th October, 2014 in Helsinki, Finland
More Information: http://designingselfcareforeverydaylife.wordpress.com/

GOALS AND DESCRIPTION:
Managing chronic conditions can be challenging. People in such conditions, and the people around them, have to: deal with symptoms, adapt to the resulting disability, manage emotions, and change habits to keep the condition under control. Self-care technologies have the potential to support self-care, however they often disregard the complexity of the settings in which they are used and fail to become integrated in everyday life.

In this workshop we will discuss how to design self-care technologies that are in harmony with people's everyday life. Therefore, we invite designers, researchers and practitioners to participate in a full-day workshop in which we will reflect on each other's work, and do a design exercise with patients and caregivers. Non-academic participants can also attend without submitting a contribution if they wish to participate in the discussions.

We will consider participants that submit: a position paper (2-4 ACM sigCHI<http://www.sigchi.org/publications/chipubform/> pages), or a <500 motivation letter (for non-academics). Both submissions should be sent to: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> by 14th August 2014.

TOPICS OF INTEREST:
We expect position papers on self-care technologies, including: recent experiments, prototypes, field studies, theoretical accounts and critical reflections that discuss issues of design, development, and use.

Possible topics include, but are not limited to:
- Success (and failure) stories of self-care technology;
- Challenges of using self-care technologies in everyday life;
- Appropriation of self-care technologies;
- Solutions created by patients and caregivers;
- Collaborations and division of work in self-care;
- Enabling patient empowerment;
- Bridging clinical and non-clinical settings;
- Underlying issues of self-care technology design or use;

IMPORTANT DATES:
14th August, 2014:  Submission deadline for position papers and motivation letters
11th September, 2014: Notification of acceptance
27th September, 2014: Camera ready version
27th October, 2014: Workshop at NordiCHI 2014

WORKSHOP ORGANIZERS:
Nervo Verdezoto, Aarhus University, Denmark
Francisco Nunes, Vienna University of Technology, Austria
Erik Grönvall, IT University of Copenhagen, Denmark
Geraldine Fitzpatrick, Vienna University of Technology, Austria
Cristiano Storni, University of Limerick, Ireland
Morten Kyng, Aarhus University, Denmark

PROGRAM COMMITTEE:
Aisling Ann O’Kane, University College London, UK
Alison Burrows, University of Bristol, UK
Anne Marie Kanstrup, Aalborg University, Denmark
Antonella de Angeli, University of Trento, Italy
Claudia Müller, University of Siegen, Germany
Florian Güldenpfennig, Vienna University of Technology, Austria
Kelly Caine, Clemson University, USA
Ljilja Kascak, Georgia Institute of Technology, USA
Lone Malmborg, IT University of Copenhagen, Denmark
Mads Frost, IT University of Copenhagen, Denmark
Maria Wolters, University of Edinburgh, UK
Naveen L. Bagalkot, Srishti School of Art, Design and Technology, India
Olav Bertelsen, Aarhus University, Denmark
Özge Subasi, Vienna University of Technology, Austria
Paula Alexandra Silva, University of Aveiro, Portugal
Tariq Osman Andersen, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
Tobias Sonne, Aarhus University, Denmark
Tone Bratteteig, University of Oslo, Norway
Yunan Chen, University of California, Irvine, USA

More Information: http://designingselfcareforeverydaylife.wordpress.com/