Sender:
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2015 11:01:19 -0800
Subject:
From:
Steve Harrison <[log in to unmask]>

The THIRD Lab in the Center for Human Computer Interaction and the Department of Computer Science at Virginia Tech invites candidates to apply to Ph.D. Program in Computer Science.

** THIRD Lab information: http://thirdlab.cs.vt.edu <http://thirdlab.cs.vt.edu/>
** Program information: https://www.cs.vt.edu/graduate <https://www.cs.vt.edu/graduate> or http://interdisciplinary.graduateschool.vt.edu/hcd <http://interdisciplinary.graduateschool.vt.edu/hcd>
** Apply at: https://gradapp.stl.vt.edu/ <https://gradapp.stl.vt.edu/>
** Application deadline: January 15, 2015

THIRD Lab investigates the phenomenologies of technology and interpersonal relations in everyday life.  It is called “third” in a way analogous to the notion of “third place.”   We conduct research in a wide variety of areas and are seeking motivated students with a deep interest in:
* couple’s technology
* design theory and processes
* human malleability
* space and place
* educational technology
* mediated life
* microcoordination

Deborah Tatar and Steve Harrison have complementary interests in these areas and jointly run the THIRD Lab. THIRD Lab is associated with the Center for Human-Computer Interaction <http://www.hci.vt.edu/> at Virginia Tech, the Department of Computer Science <https://www.cs.vt.edu/>, and the Institute for Creativity, Arts and Technology <http://www.icat.vt.edu/>. We are interested in ideas — ideas found in designs and meanings found in the interstices, not only of home and office, but of technology and experience.  Our work couples deep thinking about subtle phenomena to the design of new technologies. Students working with the THIRD Lab will explore social and individual psychological and philosophical issues as well as analysis and design of technologies.

We approach the design of human-computer interaction prioritizing human agency and social negotiation. Thus, we do not innovate for the sake of innovation and we consider what is not included in systems is as important as what is included. Further, we seek to train designers to be meta-dexterous — comfortable with critical, consulting, research-through-design, entrepreneurial, and participatory approaches.

We are part of the Center for Human-Computer Interaction <http://www.hci.vt.edu/> which spans multiple disciplines.  The Center is part of the Institute for Creativity, Arts and Technology <http://www.icat.vt.edu/>.  Students interested in other HCI areas such as visualization, virtual reality, augmented reality, human-robot interaction, social computing, digital democracy, human factors, and graphics should consult the Center website <http://www.hci.vt.edu/>. Most students apply and are accepted through our Computer Science and Applications PhD program <https://www.cs.vt.edu/graduate>. This program will bring the student into contact with top computer science students and faculty working in high-performance computing, security, and programming languages, among others sub-areas of CS. For students who have completed a masters degree and are interested in a PhD program tailored to more multi-disciplinary approaches, we have an interdisciplinary PhD with a concentration in Human-Centered Design <http://interdisciplinary.graduateschool.vt.edu/hcd>.

Financial support including tuition waiver, research fellowships and teaching assistantships is available for well-qualified students.

The graduate program in computer science is ranked 40th by U.S. News & World Report. The graduate program of the College of Engineering (of which the CS PhD program is a part) is ranked 10th in the US and 21st in the world by U.S. News & World Report. Virginia Tech is ranked 40th in research funding by the National Science Foundation.

Steve Harrison <[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Deborah Tatar <[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>>