Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2015 10:29:51 -0500
Subject:
Sender:
From:
Christiane Moser <[log in to unmask]>
People, Context, and Devices: Defining the New Landscape of TV Experiences

at TVX 2015 - ACM International Conference on Interactive Experiences for Television & Online Video http://tvx2015.com/

SUBMISSION DEADLINE: February 23rd, 2015

NOTIFICATION: April 2nd, 2015

WORKSHOP: June 3rd, 2015

http://workshops.icts.sbg.ac.at/TVX2015

*** IDEA ***
Modern technologies (e.g., tablet, smartphone, large public displays) remove many of the constraints that define the scope of what television is or can be, but we often define it based upon our prior TV experiences with broadcast and cable television. This one-day workshop at TVX 2015 will address design challenges and opportunities (e.g., of video streams, social TV apps, second screens) in order to consolidate existing knowledge to describe the changing landscape of TV experiences. It's time to redefine what we think of when we say "television," and this workshop will engage participants in that process.

Our workshop will bring together academics and industry practitioners to foster debate, share experiences, and advance theory, in order to support future innovation. The day will be divided into two portions led by different organizations:
1) Members of the University of Salzburg and KU Leuven, in collaboration with three industry practitioners, will lead a discussion about lessons learned through practice or research, and best practices.
2) Members of the YouTube User Experience team will lead an interactive working session to enumerate and characterize key facets of the developing landscape of TV experiences, culminating in the creation of a framework that will inform and foster innovation.

This workshop is for academics and professionals who have experience in TV UX. It encourages interdisciplinary discussions and aims to include researchers and practitioners in the fields of content creation, interaction design, user interface design, computer science, psychology, cognitive science, and sociology, etc. Through this two-part workshop, we aim to bring together experts to discuss lessons from previous work, and articulate and challenge existing assumptions.

*** PARTICIPATION ***
Interested participants must submit
1) a 2 to 4-page position paper in ACM Extended Abstract format (http://www.sigchi.org/publications/chipubform) discussing their existing work in the TV space and their background or
2) a short 1-page position paper in ACM Extended Abstract format (http://www.sigchi.org/publications/chipubform) with a biography and a statement declaring your research interests and activities in the area
via email to Isha Dandavate ([log in to unmask]) and Christiane Moser ([log in to unmask]). Insightful papers fostering an interdisciplinary perspective are welcomed. Participants will be selected based on their position papers and CV to ensure a variety of viewpoints and expertise are represented.

*** IMPORTANT DATES ***
Submission of proposals: February 23rd, 2015

Notification deadline: April 2nd, 2015

Camera-ready version deadline: May 2nd, 2015

Workshop at TVX2015: June 3rd, 2015

*** ORGANIZERS ***
Isha Dandavate, Jennifer Milam and Jeanne Allen (YouTube, USA)
Christiane Moser, Thomas Kargl and Manfred Tscheligi (HCI Unit, ICT&S Center, University of Salzburg, Austria)
Jeroen Vanattenhoven (CUO | Social Spaces, iMinds -KU Leuven, Belgium)
Lilia Perez Romero (CWI: Centrum Wiskunde & Informatica, Netherlands)
Fabian Schiller (IRT, Munich, Germany)
Joost Negenman (Dutch Public Broadcast, NPO, Netherlands)