From:
Andreas Riener <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 2015 07:16:47 +0200
2nd CfP: Workshop  on "Workshop  on Practical  Experiences  in Measuring
and Modeling Drivers and Driver-Vehicle Interactions" (@AutoUI'2015)

[our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this CfP]

We are pleased to announce the following workshop offered in conjunction
with the 6th  International  Conference  on  Automotive User  Interfaces
and Interactive Vehicular Applications  (AutomotiveUI  2015):

| AutomotiveUI 2015 Workshop on PRACTICAL EXPERIENCES in               |
| Measuring and Modeling Drivers and Driver-Vehicle Interactions       |
| Nottingham, UK; September 1st, 2015                                  |
| colocated with AutomotiveUI 2015 (http://www.auto-ui.org/15)         |
| Workshop website: http://www.pervasive.jku.at/AutoUI15WS/            |
| Submission deadline: July 13th, 2015                                 |

----------| OBJECTIVES: MODELING AND MEASURING INTERACTIONS |-----------
The goal of the workshop is to bring together both young and experienced
researchers  in the  field  of  automotive  UI  research   and   discuss
settings, experiences, best practices, etc. for conducting lab  or field
experiments. This includes discussions about how to improve user studies
(setting), what types of sensors and recording  platforms  are  suitable
for  which  studies,  feasibility  of  results  (e.g.,  transfer  of lab
results to real scenarios), which should help "new"  researchers  (first
year PhD or before) that are  just  starting  with  auto  UI research to
learn  from  the experience   and  mistakes   of   others.
Submissions  can span the range from  small-scale studies to large-scale
deployments, from the l ab to the field, with  small or  large number of
participants. We are  interested in understanding the  various protocols
and contexts used in different automotive UI studies. These works should
provide us  with an opportunity in the  workshop to explain the methodo-
logy and discuss pros and cons of the chosen approach, etc.

---------------------------| WORKSHOP THEMES |--------------------------
Potential topics to be discussed at the workshop  include,  but  are not
limited to:

1) Measuring and Modeling of the Driver
* Sensors in driving  simulators  vs.  sensors  in  commercial vehicles
  (used in on-road studies)
* Cameras and multi-camera arrays
* Depth/Infrared/Acoustic sensors
* "Brought-in sensors" such as smartphones
* Contextual databases/sensors (contact lists, addresses, etc.)
* Neuroergonomic  sensors (e.g., EEG, fNIRS, ECG, EMG, fEMG, SCR, etc.)
* Driver emotion models
* Driver intent models
* Shared situational awareness
* "The driver as sensor"

2) Measuring and Modeling of Driving
* Best-known  methods  for modeling  driving  behaviors  in on-road and
  simulator studies
* Feasibility of the lane change task
* Detection response and peripheral detection task (PDT) [1]
* Best-known methods in qualitative & quantitative data gathering
* Examples of good/bad experimental settings
* Settings to use for tests in mixed automated settings
* How to  test  interaction  with  autonomous  cars  in  the   exterior
  (pedestrians vs. autonomous vehicles)
* Simulator studies  settings  (platform, connected  sensors/actuators,
  data extraction and processing, synchronization issues)
* Study design (lab, on-road;  comparison lab vs. field,  Wizard of Oz,
  Safety of test subjects, etc.)

3) Measuring and Modeling for Explicit Interactions
* Sensors for Natural User Interaction (NUI )(Leap motion, Kinect, Myo,
  Emotiv, Neurosky, etc.)
* Testing from OEMs and HW providers point-of-view
* Main issues and constraints of the in-vehicle environment
* How to recognize deliberate commands from random in-car activities
* Discussion on standards (for gestures, tactile feedback, etc.)

-----------------------------| SUBMISSIONS |----------------------------
We allow  the  submission  of  1-4  page  papers  (in   CHI   EA format)
describing  a  crisp,  self-contained  problem  in  the   field   of the
workshop.  Successful  submissions  will  have  the  potential  to raise
discussion,  provide  insights  for  other  attendees,   or   illustrate
problems and provide potential solutions.

Please submit your contribution using the ACM SIGCHI extended  abstracts
(EA) format (http://www.sigchi.org/publications/chipubform)  through the
EasyChair   (https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=autoui2015)   paper
submission system. More details are available at the workshop website.

Submissions need not to be  anonymous.  However,  reviews  will  be done
anonymously using an evaluation form. Each paper will  receive  at least
two reviews. The selection of workshop participants  will  be  done by a
review process. Final decisions of accepting or rejecting  a  paper will
be made by the organizers of the workshop  based  on the  review  scores
and with respect to offering all workshop  participants  an interesting,
diversified program.

Registration for the  main  conference  is mandatory  for  all  workshop
participants, but  there  are  no  additional  costs  for  attending the
workshop beyond the main conference registration fee.

------------------| IMPORTANT DATES FOR THE WORKSHOP |------------------
* Submission deadline: July 13th, 2015
* Notification of acceptance: July 27th, 2015
* Camera ready version due: August 10th, 2015
* Workshop date: September 1st, 2015

Please feel free to contact the organizers at any time.

-----------------------------| ORGANIZERS |-----------------------------
Andreas Riener, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria
Ignacio Alvarez, Intel Labs Hillsboro, Oregon, US
Myounghoon "Philart" Jeon, Michigan Technological University, USA
Wendy Ju, CDR, Stanford University, Stanford, California, US
Bastian Pfleging, University of Stuttgart, Germany
Mario Chiesa, Istituto Superiore Mario Boella Torino, Italy
Lewis Chuang, Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics, Germany

Workshop website: <http://www.pervasive.jku.at/AutoUI15WS>
Contact: <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

For more details see the workshop website!