From:
Daniel Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Daniel Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Feb 2015 05:09:51 -0800
I'm happy to let you know that a few friends and I (Marti Hearst from UC
Berkeley, Merrie Morris of Microsoft Research, Ed Chi from Google, and
Jaime Teevan, also of Microsoft Research) are teaching at half-day course
at #CHI2015 during the afternoon of Monday, April 20th, 2015.

Please see the web site: http://chi2015.acm.org/program/courses/#C05

WHAT THE COURSE IS ABOUT:

Modern user interfaces often contain a search or find UI component so the
user can search for content in the context of the application.

While there are common practices, what actually works best in these
situations?  What kinds of search tasks are the users actually trying to
accomplish when they do a search?

In this course, we’ll review the search and findability issues that users
confront in the course of their tasks, and ways in which information can be
found.  We’ll also discuss the ways in which users seek information in
social settings.

You will learn several key design principles for creating your own search
interfaces, as well as coming to understand what is driving people to
search.

Hope to see you there!

-- Dan, Marti, Merrie, Ed, and Jaime

Design for Searching & Finding
Daniel Russell , Google, Mountain View, California, United States
Jaime Teevan , Microsoft Research, Redmond, Washington, United States
Meredith Morris , Microsoft Research, Redmond, Washington, United States
Marti Hearst , School of Information, University of California, Berkeley,
Berkeley, California, United States
Ed Chi , Google, Inc., Mountain View, CA, United States
Monday : 317A : 14:30 - 15:30 16:40 - 17:50 : Layout - Classroom
Search and finding is a common user activity. But do you know the relevant
factors to design search interfaces? This course reviews the theory and
practices of search interface design.
Modern user interfaces often contain a search or find components so the