From:
Nicolai Marquardt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nicolai Marquardt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2015 01:31:21 +0000
You can now register for the Sketching User Experiences course (C16) at
CHI 2015 in Seoul, organised by Nicolai Marquardt and Saul Greenberg. In
this hands-on sketching course you will learn easy to apply sketching
methods for generating and refining ideas for HCI research and design.
Registration fee is $25 (includes a book copy of the Sketching User
Experiences Workbook from Morgan Kaufmann).

More information: http://chi2015.acm.org/program/courses/#C16
Registration: https://www.regonline.com/CHI2015AttendeeRegistration
(course ID is C16)

=======================
SKETCHING USER EXPERIENCES: THE HANDS-ON COURSE
=======================

at ACM CHI 2015 in Seoul, South Korea
Tuesday, April 21st 2015, from 14.30 - 17.50
by Nicolai Marquardt (University College London) and Saul Greenberg
(University of Calgary)

Course Overview
---------------------------------------
Creating hand drawn paper-pencil sketches can be a valuable tool for
finding the right design; before later refining the work and getting the
design right. This hands-on course will demonstrate how to integrate
sketching into researchers’ and interaction designers’ everyday
practice. The course will run over two 80-minute sessions. We will guide
participants through selected sketching techniques and strategies. These
techniques are partially based on the Sketching User Experiences
Workbook (http://sketchbook.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/), but also include other
techniques and examples not covered in the book. Live sketching
demonstrations and step-by-step instructions will illustrate a basic
toolset for getting started sketching when working on HCI research
projects. The demonstrated techniques include, for example:

* Sketching vocabulary: learning to quickly draw objects and people
* Rapid sketching of people's emotions and gestures: learning sketching
shortcuts and strategies to rapidly sketch common elements of sketches
in HCI
* 10 plus 10 design funnel: developing different ideas and refinements
of selected ideas
* Photo tracing: create collections of sketch outlines that form the
basis of composed sketches
* Hybrid sketches: combining sketches with photos
* Storyboards for interaction sequences: creating visual illustrations
of an interaction sequence and telling a story about use and context
over time
* Sketch boards: sharing and discussing sketches with others

With a series of hands-on exercises during the tutorial and different
provided templates, the participants of the tutorial can directly apply
the learned techniques in practice. We will demonstrate many best
practices and sketching shortcuts, and involve all participants in joint
sharing and discussion sessions of the sketches created during the
different hands-on activities. We will demonstrate how we used sketching
techniques in our recent research projects when designing interactive
systems, and highlight how to apply the learned sketching techniques
during all stages of the design and research process. We end the
tutorial with an overview of additional resources and books about
sketching techniques, and also possible software and hardware for
digital sketching.

This course is open for everyone and does not require any previous
drawing expertise. We will provide sketching materials and templates,
but please feel free to bring your own sketches to share, sketchbooks,
pens or paper.

The course ID is C16. Please note that there are two sketching courses
by different organisers at CHI this year (they are at different times,
so you can sign up for both of these courses).

Course facts:
---------------------------------------
Date and time: Tuesday, April 21st 2015
2 sessions: 14:30 - 15:30 16:40 - 17:50
Location: Room 318BC
Course information: http://chi2015.acm.org/program/courses/#C16

Registration: https://www.regonline.com/CHI2015AttendeeRegistration
Registration fee: $25 (includes a book copy of the Sketching User
Experiences Workbook from Morgan Kaufmann)

Course instructors:
---------------------------------------
Nicolai Marquardt is a Lecturer in Physical Computing in the Department
of Computer Science at University College London. At the UCL Interaction
Centre he is working in the research areas of ubiquitous computing,
physical user interfaces, proxemic interactions, and interactive surfaces.
Saul Greenberg is a full professor and Industrial Research Chair in the
Department of Computer Science at the University of Calgary. He received
the CHCCS Achievement award and was elected to the ACM CHI Academy for
his overall contributions to the field of human-computer interaction.
They are co-authors (with Sheelagh Carpendale and Bill Buxton) of
‘Sketching User Experiences: The Workbook’ (Morgan Kaufmann 2012).

More information about Sketching User Experiences available at:
http://sketchbook.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/