PhD scholarship in Human-Computer Interaction and Information Visualization
We invite applications for a fully funded PhD scholarship in human-computer interaction and information visualization. The candidate will work at the Human-Centered Computing Group at University of Copenhagen (http://www.diku.dk/english/research/HCC) in a research center that offers a unique opportunity to do visualization research in collaboration with leading companies in bio-based production.
The candidate will be working in the BIOPRO2 research center (BIO-based PROduction: TOwards the next generation of optimized and sustainable processes, http://biopro.nu<http://biopro.nu/>). The scholarship is funded by Innovation Fund Denmark and will be carried out at the Human-Centered Computing Section at Department of Computer Science, University of Copenhagen in collaboration between Technical University of Denmark, University of Copenhagen, and world-leading companies in bio-based production. The PhD candidate will be doing user-centered design of visualizations of sensor data and models in bio-based production systems. This relates primarily to research in human-computer interaction, information visualization, and visual analytics. The PhD student will develop prototypes that visualize data efficiently for different stakeholders and evaluate the visualizations both in laboratory studies and in field deployment within the industry partners.
== Qualifications ==
Successful candidates must:
* Have a Master's degree in computer science or a field providing equivalent qualifications.
* Have completed a Master's thesis within human-computer interaction, information visualization, visual analytics, or similar topic.
* Have the ability to work independently within an interdisciplinary team and in collaboration with company stakeholders.
* If candidates have graduated more than 2 years ago, they must document work experience relevant to the objectives and qualifications mentioned above for the interim period.
* Be proficient in English, both in speaking and writing.
Additionally, candidates need to stand out in at least one of the following key criteria of excellence used for the assessment:
* Grades that document an outstanding academic record
* Scientific publication(s) in recognized, peer-reviewed venues
* Awards and honours
* Professional qualifications and work experience
== About the scholarship ==
The PhD project will be carried out in the Human-Centered Computing Group at Department of Computer Science, University of Copenhagen. The salary and appointment terms are according to the agreement for PhD scholarships as of April 1, 2014, according to which the monthly salary amounts to approximately EUR 3,800 including pension savings. The scholarship requires a Master's degree in computer science or a field providing equivalent qualifications (see above), at the time of taking up the position. The scholarships can be commenced as of August 1 2015, or as soon as possible thereafter. The appointment is for a period of 3 years and is expected to lead to a PhD dissertation. More details about studying at University of Copenhagen may be found at www.science.ku.dk/english/research/phd/<http://www.science.ku.dk/english/research/phd/>; information about studying in Denmark may be found at ism.ku.dk/<http://ism.ku.dk/>.
== Submission of Applications ==
Applicants are requested to submit their application by using the link at http://employment.ku.dk/phd/?show=715881. Deadline for applications is March 16, 2015.
The application must contain:
• A letter of motivation that includes a short description of how the required qualifications are met
• Documentation of academic degree(s); grade transcripts that documents an outstanding academic record. Unless the candidate’s diploma and transcripts of grades are in Danish or English, the candidate should procure a certified translation. Furthermore, the candidate must include information about the grading scale provided by her/his university or ministry
• Curriculum Vitae which must include the name and contact information of two recognized researchers whom we may contact for further information
• Copies of scientific publications (if any) in recognized, peer-reviewed venues, such as major international conferences or journals. If a publication has several authors a co-author statement describing each co-authors contribution to the publication should be included
• The Master's thesis. If thesis work is still in progress at the time of application, a draft should be enclosed instead
== Dates & details ===
• Application deadline: March 16, 2015
• Start date: August 1, 2015 (negotiable)
• Salary: Approximately EUR 3,800 per month including pension savings
• Duration: 3 years
If you have any questions please contact Assistant Professor Mikkel R. Jakobsen, Department of Computer Science, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, e-mail: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.
For news of CHI books, courses & software, join CHI-RESOURCES
mailto: [log in to unmask]
To unsubscribe from CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS send an email to
mailto:[log in to unmask]
For further details of CHI lists see http://listserv.acm.org