From:
"LINDSAY S.C." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
LINDSAY S.C.
Date:
Tue, 26 May 2015 14:40:01 +0000

Evasive Data - Finding data that's hidden in plain sight

BHCI 2015, Monday 13th July, Lincoln

The Open Data movement has gained momentum in the last 3 years with the advent of the Open Government Licence. However, data relating to the public realm but not truly publicly available comes in many forms, we have some types that we want but can't access though many argue we should (such as land registries pricing), while other data are implicitly available yet ignored as the providers intentionally make it difficult to collect for analysis. We are interested in this "evasive data", data that has to be publicly available but which those that generate it do not want collected. One example would be the public opinion data embedded in the odds given on gambling websites - this data is altered in response to bets made and represents a form of the "wisdom of crowds" of interest to political scientists, pollsters and the general public. In previous work, we attempted to predict the outcome of the 2015 General Election by harvesting this data using a mixed crowd-sourcing and page scraping approach to adapt to its changing representations. Other examples of such evasive data include hidden insurance deals deliberately withheld from price comparison websites, council CCTV camera locations and medical trials data.

We invite researchers to this workshop who seek to understand the techniques needed to identify and collect this data, ways we can apply it and the ethical implications of such collection.

Submissions or questions about the event can be sent to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. Submissions are requested by the 12th June in the form of either:

-       2-4 page position papers in CHI ACM Extended Abstract Format <http://chi2015.acm.org/authors/format/#extendedformat> discussing the applicants perspective on evasive data and outlining where their specific interests in the field might lie - we will ask the most interesting of these to give short talks on the day

-       or 1-paragraph expressions of interest presenting a brief biography and relevant research interests.
More info at: http://cs.swansea.ac.uk/s.c.lindsay/application.html