Sender:
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 2015 16:40:14 +0100
From:
Carlo Giovannella <[log in to unmask]>
/Apologize for unintended cross-mailing/
Focus section on
*"Innovation in Human Computer Interaction: What can we learn from
Design Thinking?"*

to be published at the
Interaction Design and Architecture(s) Journal (IxD&A)
(ISSN 1826-9745, eISSN 2283-2998)
**** Since 2015 also in Scopus ****
**** *Since 2015 also* in *Emerging Sources Citation Index* and *Web of
Science* ***
*----------------------------------------------------------------

CFP:
http://www.mifav.uniroma2.it/inevent/events/idea2010/index.php?s=102&link=call27fs
Guest Editors:

• Alma Leora Culén, Department of Informatics, University of Oslo
• Asbjørn Følstad, SINTEF

Important dates:
• Deadline: *December 15, 2015 * -> January 6, 2016

*Overview*
In this focus section we explore the position that innovation has in the
field of Human Computer Interaction (HCI). Innovation in HCI may be seen
as mainly incremental, introducing small changes in existing systems and
services. Design thinking, to the contrary, has been recognized as an
important driver of innovation in business, education, health, and other
important domains. As both HCI and design thinking are seen as
representing user-centred perspectives, we are interested in lessons
that could be learned from design thinking and whether they could help
move the innovation in HCI to a more central position, and beyond just
small changes.
Many similarities, and differences, can be found between design thinking
and HCI design approach to innovation. Key to design thinking is the
capacity to generate and explore design alternatives through user
research, ideation, rapid iteration on multiple alternatives, combining
parts from different design proposals, and evaluating with users. This
problem-solving procedure may be applied to the design of anything from
designing organizational changes, to designing products, services or
systems. HCI design processes, on the other hand, typically involve
analytical, requirements-driven approaches. HCI design processes may
also be more limited in scope, e.g. as they rarely aim at bringing about
organizational changes. HCI design processes have been described as
‘finding the right solution to the given problem’, as opposed to the
design thinking that seeks to solve the right problem, by questioning
the framing of the problem and opening the design space. We acknowledge
that within HCI, and in particular within participatory design, there is
a long tradition of work with issues along practical-political and
theoretical-conceptual lines that correspond to those of design
thinking. Thus, in conclusion, this special issue aims to explore these
differences and similarities in relation to innovation.

*Topics of Interests*
We welcome all papers discussing innovation in HCI, from diverse points
of view and from diverse research areas. The papers can explore, but are
not limited to, any of the following topics:

• HCI, design thinking and innovation towards sustainable future
• HCI and social innovation
• Design thinking, HCI and service innovation
• Design thinking, HCI and values
• HCI innovations transfer to products in use
• Design thinking in HCI education (or vice versa)
• The role of multidisciplinary teams in innovation
• Participatory design, design thinking and re-infrastructuring
• Innovation and decision-making processes
• Living labs and design thinking
/
//KEYWORDS:/ Innovation; design thinking; radical innovation;
incremental innovation; design driven innovation.

Submission procedure

The manuscripts should be submitted either in .doc or in .rtf format.
All papers will be blindly peer-reviewed by at least two reviewers.
Authors are invited to submit 8-14 pages paper (including authors'
information, abstract, all tables, figures, references, etc.).
The paper should be written according to the IxD&A authors' guidelines
->http://www.mifav.uniroma2.it/inevent/events/idea2010/index.php

Authors' guidelines

Link to the paper submission page:
http://www.mifav.uniroma2.it/idea2010/login.php (when submitting the
paper please choose Domain Subjects under: "IxD&A focus section on:
‘Innovation in Human Computer Interaction: What can we learn from Design
Thinking?')

More information on the submission procedure and on the characteristics
of the paper format can be found on the website of the IxD&A Journal
where information on the copyright policy and responsibility of authors,
publication ethics and malpractice are published.

For scientific advices and for any query please contact the guest-editors:

• Alma Leora Culén: almira [at] ifi [dot] uio [dot] no
• Asbjørn Følstad: Asbjorn [dot] Folstad [at] sintef [dot] no

marking the subject as: "IxD&A section on 'Innovation in Human Computer
Interaction: What can we learn from Design Thinking?' "

**** 2014: IxD&A in figures ****
acceptance rate: *less than 30%*;
*4* issues and *28* papers published, written by *90* authors from *16*
countries (*5* continents); *102* reviewers involved.
IxD&A is visited by scholars from all over the world coming from more
than *115* countries
View stats:
http://www.mifav.uniroma2.it/inevent/events/idea2010/index.php?s=9&a=403