Sender:
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2017 15:32:57 +0000
From:
Call for Papers

2nd WORKSHOP ON MULTISENSORY APPROACHES TO HUMAN-FOOD INTERACTION
Glasgow, Scotland, November 13th, 2017
Workshop held in conjunction with International Conference on Multimodal Interaction, ICMI 2017, Glasgow, Scotland, 13-17 November 2017.

Organizers: Anton Nijholt, Carlos Velasco, Marianna Obrist, Katsunori Okajima, Rick Schifferstein, and Charles Spence.

In this 2nd workshop on Multisensory Approaches to Human-Food Interaction, we are calling for investigations and applications of systems that create new, or enhance already existing, eating and drinking experiences ('hacking' food experiences) in the context of Human-Food Interaction. Moreover, we are interested in those works that are based on the principles that govern the systematic connections that exist between the senses. Human-Food Interaction also involves the experiencing food interactions digitally in remote locations. Therefore, we are also interested in sensing and actuation interfaces, new communication mediums, and persisting and retrieving technologies for human food interactions. Enhancing social interactions to augment the eating experience is another issue we would like to see addressed.

In particular, we call for research that looks into the following topics:

  *   Defining the methods of associating the extended sensory data (smell, taste, feel) with traditional (AV, text) data. Food as data.
  *   Capitalizing on artificial intelligence for recipe creation.
  *   Using technology to enhance sensory marketing (e.g., via sensory apps).
  *   Using technology to help understand multisensory flavour perception and cross-cultural food eating environments.
  *   Establishing a semantic understanding for gustatory and olfactory experience.
  *   Creating multisensory flavour experiences in virtual reality systems by including auditory, haptic, smell and/or taste stimulation devices.
  *   Augmenting visual, auditory, and tactile augmented and virtual reality sensations and experiences with chemical sensory stimuli.
  *   Using multisensory digital devices to manipulate eating and drinking atmospheres (e.g. colour, music in the room) and factors such as food presentation (e.g. size and/or shape of the plate, smell and/or colour of the food).
  *   Collecting user's responses derived from flavour experiences through digital devices. For example, tracking behavioural aspects (e.g. tracking movements, eating speed, and facial expressions), and/or using psychophysiological measurements.
  *   Utilizing multisensory experience design, technology, and playful interactions to influence food habits and choice.
  *   Understanding the role of technology in the social aspects of dining (e.g., social media and food pictures).
  *   Novel applications of food and technology in different contexts, for example during airplane flights, or space travel.
  *   Exploring the role of technology to enhance or otherwise influence social aspects surrounding eating behaviour.

Guidelines for Papers and Submissions

We invite the submission of long (8 pages) and short (4 pages) papers. The workshop proceedings will be published in the ACM Digital Library. For more information about papers and submissions, visit our website: https://multisensoryhfi.wordpress.com/

Important Dates
- Paper submission: July 22nd, 2017
- Paper notification: August 22nd, 2017
- Camera-ready: September 22nd, 2017