From:
Angus Forbes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Angus Forbes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2017 16:01:24 -0500
IEEE VIS Arts Program
Submissions due June 23rd, 2017
http://visap.uic.edu/

The IEEE VIS 2017 Arts Program, or VISAP’17, showcases innovative
artwork and research that explores the exciting and increasingly
prominent intersections between art, design, and visualization.
Through a dedicated papers track and an exhibition that runs
concurrently with the IEEE VIS 2017 conference, the Arts Program aims
to foster new thinking, discussion, and collaboration between artists,
designers, technologists, visualization scientists, and others working
at the intersection of these fields.

Our theme this year is Sustain & Decay. Inspired by last year’s VIS
keynote presentation by Dr. Ricardo Hausmann and the United Nation’s
Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), we invite researchers, design
practitioners, and artists to investigate data for sustainable
development and to think about effective and provocative ways to
represent complex interdependencies within and between ecological,
socio-technical, political, and urban systems, as well as other types
of interfaces between dynamic systems.

In addition, we encourage submissions to focus on the myriad
relationships between process and artifact. What are the creative and
practical processes that are required to produce data-driven
interactive artworks, visualizations, and installations? We are
interested in how the submitted works can influence and transform the
way we understand the world around us, but also in how the design
processes that go into the creation of these works can influence the
way we perceive and understand them.

The VISAP’17 exhibition and papers sessions will take place at the
Phoenix Convention Center during the first week in October, co-located
with IEEE VIS. Selected artworks and design submissions will be
installed in an exhibition setting that is open to the general public
as well as to VIS attendees. All accepted submissions will be featured
in the VISAP’17 Exhibition Catalog, and selected entries will be
featured in a special section within an issue of Leonardo, the Journal
of the International Society of the Arts, Sciences and Technology. All
accepted papers will be published in the IEEE Xplore digital library.
Additionally, selected authors will be invited to prepare a revised,
longer version of their papers for submission to IEEE Computer
Graphics & Applications.

All submissions are due on June 23rd, 2017. Details about the
submission process and author guidelines can be found at the VISAP’17
website: http://visap.uic.edu/.

We look forward to your participation!

Angus Forbes and Jeremy Boy
VISAP’17 Chairs