From:
Roman Bednarik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roman Bednarik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Aug 2015 15:43:48 +0300
*** Our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this CfP ***

----------------EMIPWS 2015 Call for Papers---------------
3rd International Workshop on Eye-Movements in Programming

The third international workshop on Eye Movements in Programming will
focus on advancing the methodological, theoretical and applied aspects
of eye-movements in programming. Previously we focused on understanding
expert (2013) and novice (2014) source code reading behaviors, and we
launched the first distributed data collection in this discipline. By
analyzing the pre-shared datasets and discussion of bottom-up
data-to-models approaches, the workshop produced new methods, tools and
understanding of source code reading gaze patterns.

The third edition aims at investigating the opposite direction. We
invite contributions departing from theoretical perspectives and grounds
to present new hypotheses about gaze behaviour in comprehension,
debugging, and other tasks of programming. These may include, but are
not limited to, affective computing in programming, vision based models,
readability, and new theories of program comprehension. Contributions
are expected to present implications to industrial programming practice
or programming education.

In preparation for the workshop session, participants submit a short
paper (about two pages) discussing 'how various aspects of comprehension
leave their trace in gaze'. All submissions will undergo a light review
by the program committee. A technical workshop report including the
position papers will be published. At the workshop we will discuss the
proposed operationalizations of comprehension and how to validate them
against the data gathered during the Distributed Collection of Eye
Movement Data in Programming (http://bit.ly/emip_data). Furthermore, we
will prepare a joint publication with the results.

To participate send an email to Roman Bednarik ([log in to unmask]).
Participation is independent of attending ACM Koli Calling. Workshop
web-site: emipws.org.

Important dates:
- deadline for position papers: October 10, 2015
- feedback to authors: November 1, 2015
- get together: Sunday, November 22, 2015
- workshop: November 23-24, 2015

Workshop organizers:
Roman Bednarik (University of Eastern Finland)
Teresa Busjahn, Carsten Schulte, Sascha Tamm (Freie Universität Berlin)

Program committee:
Andrew Begel, Microsoft Research, USA
Sven Buchholz, FH Brandenburg, Germany
Martha Crosby, University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, USA
Bonita Sharif, Youngstown State University, USA
Jozef Tvarozek, Slovak University of Technology, Slovakia

Position paper (about 2 pages):

Invited Topics: Models to data / Theoretical foundations of attention in
programming/ How comprehension leaves its trace in gaze

The aim of the position papers is to discuss aspects of a cognitive
model or process, a strategy, a certain element of program
comprehension, etc. The arguments should be derived from literature
(psychology, computer science etc.) or experience (e.g. teaching
novices, working with programmers in industry).

Authors are encouraged to describe the model and operationalize it, so
it is possible to validate the occurrences of this particular visual
behavior in actual gaze data. At the workshop session, we will discuss
how to evaluate the presented models on the dataset from the Distributed
Data Collection; the dataset includes over a hundred of programmers of
different expertise from total novice to expert with many years of
professional experience reading Java (and Python).

Central questions:
• Given your model, who looks where for how long in what order? What
patterns do you expect?
• Who: Novices or experts
• Where: Region on any abstraction level, e.g. signature - body, code
categories like keywords and identifiers
• How long: e.g. a brief scan to gain an overview vs focused reading
• What order: e.g. reading starts at the first line or the main-method

Format of the submission: ACM 2 column format -
www.acm.org/sigs/publications/proceedings-templates (Option 2 for LaTeX)

Roman Bednarik    http://cs.uef.fi/~rbednari   [log in to unmask]
School of Computing, University of Eastern Finland