From:
Andreas Riener <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 26 May 2015 07:43:38 +0200
We apologize for any cross-postings.

Call for Participation

Workshop on "In-vehicle Auditory Interactions"  at  ICAD  (International
Conference on Auditory Display) 2015

Graz, Austria, July 6, 2015

https://sites.google.com/a/mtu.edu/icad2015-in-vehicle-auditory-interact
ions-workshop

Abstract:  The scope  and prevalence   of  in-vehicle   technologies has
dramatically expanded, which increases  drivers'  visual,  physical, and
mental workload. In an attempt to reduce this  workload,  but  allow for
necessary interactions, auditory displays have  been  used  in  vehicles
over the years, but only for basic  information  transmission.  The goal
of our joint workshop is to discuss  the  use  of auditory  displays for
interaction in the vehicle at a more advanced level  in  order  to offer
better driver experience in rapidly changing vehicle  environments. This
full  day  workshop  will  secure  sufficient  time  for   intermingling
participants,  presenting  conceptual  sounds,  discussing   issues, and
integrating ideas.

Objectives  and  Description: We have  five   explicit   goals   in  our
workshop:

* Provide  an organized  discussion  about  the topic  of how   auditory
  interactions can be efficiently and effectively applied to  in-vehicle
  contexts;

* Build and nurture a new community that  bridges  the auditory  display
  community with the automotive user interface community;

* Discuss  and  exchange  ideas  interactively  within  and  across sub-
  communities;

* Suggest promising directions for future  trans-disciplinary  work; and

* Yield  both  immediate   and  long-term   community-,   research-, and
  design-guidance products.

To this end, we  will  invite  researchers  and  practitioners  from all
backgrounds, who are interested in auditory display and  automotive user
interface  fields.  In  this  discussion  and  the  formation  of future
directions, we will particularly focus on  "unobtrusive  interfaces" and
aspects of "gamification". Unobtrusiveness will allow auditory  displays
to be informative, but stay at the periphery of the  driver's  attention
and be easily  accepted  by  end  users.  To  accomplish  this,  we will
discuss  several  design  guidelines  based   on blended   sonification.
Gamification can promote users to keep their motivation  for  behavioral
change for a longer period of time (e.g. in the  context  of eco-driving
applications). Through achieving  the  goals  of this  workshop  we will
provide an opportunity to move this integrated field  forward  and build
a solid community that includes ICAD.

Topics of Interests:

* Sonification for eco-driving (fuel efficiency, etc.)

* Collision warning sound design

* In-vehicle  speech-recognition;  driver  & vehicle    agent   dialogue

* Auditory displays for secondary and tertiary tasks (e.g.,
infotainment)

* Blended sonification and  unobtrusive/inattentive/subliminal  auditory
  notifications

* Sound design for Personal Navigation Design (PND)

* In-vehicle application of spatial (or 3D) sounds

* Electric vehicle sound design

* Auditory interactions and gamification

* Auditory interactions between  electric/autonomous  vehicles  and road
  users (in the exterior)

* Auditory interactions in the autonomous vehicles

* Auditory interactions between connected vehicle

* Driving performance data; traffic data sonification

* Novel in-vehicle sonic interaction design

Submissions: Participants  are  encouraged   to  submit   their   1-page
abstract, 2-4  page  paper,  sound/movie  file,  or  auditory   concepts
(details on the website) by June 12th  using the WS submission system at
https://www.pervasive.jku.at/Research/Conferences/ICAD2015/submissions

Peculiarities: This  workshop  is a  joint  effort  of   two   groups of
organizers. The  original  workshop  titles  were  "In-vehicle  auditory
interactions" (1) and  "Auditory  displays  in the  car  for  supporting
fuel-efficient  driving:  About  unobtrusiveness  and  gamification" (2)

Organizers:
Myounghoon "Philart" Jeon ([log in to unmask]) (1),
Ignacio Alvarez, Intel (1)
Thomas M. Gable, Georgia Tech (1),
Steven Landry, Michigan Tech (1),
Michael A. Nees, Lafayette College (1),
Andreas Riener, Johannes Kepler University Linz (1),
and Bruce N. Walker, Georgia Tech (1),

Jan Hammerschmidt ([log in to unmask]) (2),
René Tünnermann, Bielefeld University (2), and
Thomas Hermann, Bielefeld University (2).

Looking forward to seeing you in Graz in July.
If you have  any questions, just  email  Philart  ([log in to unmask]) or
Jan ([log in to unmask]).