From:
"Hengeveld, B.J." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Hengeveld, B.J.
Date:
Thu, 11 Jun 2015 14:34:14 +0000
TEI’16: OUR BODY IS OUR MANUAL

2nd CALL FOR PARTICIPATION:
TENTH ANNIVERSARY OF ACM TANGIBLE, EMBEDDED AND EMBODIED INTERACTION (TEI) 2016
February 14-17, 2016 in Eindhoven, The Netherlands
http://tei-conf.org/

SUBMISSION DEADLINES
• Papers: 02 August 2015
• Studio/Workshops: 16 August 2015
• Arts Track: 25 October 2015
• Student Design Challenge: 25 October 2015
• Graduate Student Consortium: 25 October 2015
• Work in Progress: 25 October 2015

===== TANGIBLE, EMBEDDED AND EMBODIED INTERACTION =====

The work presented at TEI focuses on physical interaction with computing technology and addresses theories, design, user experience, interfaces and interaction, and technical development. The TEI conference has gained substantial visibility and activity over the past decade. It brings together researchers, practitioners, designers, businesses, artists and students from various disciplines, including tangible computing, physical computing, IT product design, appliance design, whole body interaction, speculative design, gestural interaction, embodied interaction, responsive architecture, and responsive and interactive environments and spaces. Application areas are diverse, including: learning; planning; automotive, fashion, furniture and architectural design; music and sound creation; public art and performance; games; as well as productivity and creativity tools in a wide range of domains.

The intimate size of this single-track conference provides a unique forum for exchanging ideas and presenting innovative work through talks and demonstrations, participating in hands-on studio/workshops, and through posters, art installations and performances. We invite submissions from all of these perspectives: theoretical, conceptual, technical, applied, or artistic.

Accepted submissions of all types will be included in the ACM digital library proceedings.

===== TEI’16 =====

At TEI’16 we celebrate the conference’s 10th anniversary. We see this moment as a perfect opportunity for recalling some of our founding values and complementing these with contemporary values, for re-emphasizing the relationship between interactive products and systems and the body, and for learning from each other’s approaches and rationales. At TEI’16 we wish to celebrate our trans-disciplinarity by creating a setting where all of us can learn not only from our similarities, but perhaps even more from our variety. Through a wide palette of work ranging from highly technical to highly artistic, and from highly applied to highly conceptual or theoretical, we wish to trigger discussion and reflection, with the aim of emphasizing what binds us.

To do this we have established the theme ‘Our Body Is Our Manual’. Our main motivations for this are:

1. By reemphasizing our embodiment we can have a unique perspective in the HCI and related communities on contemporary developments including social design, systems design, sustainability and more.
2. As the interactions we propose in our products and systems are aimed to inform our embodied selves, we should also allow ourselves to be informed by our bodies when designing and researching these interactions.
3. Focusing on our embodiment allows us a perspective on our work other than ‘field of application’.

At TEI’16 we aim for a conference that stimulates our signature transdisciplinary dialog on multiple levels, providing a conference that is more than the sum of its parts. This means that at TEI’16, the different aspects (e.g., the papers track, the studios, etcetera) will not be experienced in isolation but rather as an integrated experience. Through this we can take the next step into TEI’s second decade.

===== SUBMISSION DEADLINES =====

• Papers: 02 August 2015
• Studio/Workshops: 16 August 2015
• Arts Track: 25 October 2015
• Student Design Challenge: 25 October 2015
• Graduate Student Consortium: 25 October 2015
• Work in Progress: 25 October 2015

All deadlines are set at 11:59 pm PST. Deadlines will not be extended.

===== SUGGESTED TOPICS =====

Authors are invited to submit high-quality work detailing original research that contributes to advancing this rapidly developing field. Appropriate topics include but are not limited to:

* Methodologies specific to tangible and embodied interaction design/research (including design guidelines, methods, approaches, lessons learned)
* Case studies and evaluations of working deployments
* Theoretical foundations, frameworks, and concepts
* Meta-studies on tangible and embodied interactions
* Novel application areas; industrial applications and implications
* Role of physicality in embodied sense making (e.g., human perception, cognition and experience)
* Tools and toolkits for tangible and embodied interaction
* Organic User Interfaces beyond the flexible display
* Wearable technologies beyond the smartwatch
* Movement and choreography of interaction
* Tangible interaction for artistic and/or expressive systems
* Philosophical, ethical & social implications
* Key challenges and opportunities; proposals for research agendas and dissemination

===== PAPERS =====

Papers should be between 4 pages and 8 pages long in the two-column ACM SIGCHI format and submitted in PDF file format. All papers will undergo the same review process and be published in the same way. Length must match the contribution, and the same general criteria hold for all papers. Regardless of length, a paper may be presented as a talk, demo and/or poster. When submitting your paper, we want to emphasize that providing a supplementary two-minute video (if appropriate) will not only facilitate the review process, but also increase the visibility of the work, during and after the conference. *Please note that we will allocate significant exposure to (two-minute maximum) videos throughout the conference*

All work must be submitted electronically via the TEI Precision Conference site (https://precisionconference.com/~tei). During submission, authors may propose the presentation format that they feel best suits their contribution, which may include multiple presentation forms. The available formats include:
   • Talk
   • Demo
   • Poster
Please do consider the most appropriate presentation format for your work. TEI is particularly strong in demonstrations and installations and encourages both by publishing their descriptions and videos in the full conference proceedings.

Please keep an eye on: http://www.tei-conf.org/16/papers.html for updates. If you have further questions about Papers for TEI’16, contact the Program Chairs at [log in to unmask]

===== STUDIO/WORKSHOPS =====

TEI’16 invites proposals for one day or optionally one and a half day Studio/Workshops (S/W). These S/W’s will be held on Sunday the 14th of February 2016 with a possible extension of half a day on Tuesday the 16th of February. We suggest considering the optional half day extension for S/W’s that may require multiple iterations, contextual fact-finding or observations, field experiences, ordering parts/supplies, or time for off-site assembly and/or building.

Successful S/W proposals operate within the realm of (design) research and combine theoretical aspects with practical aspects. We welcome proposals for hands-on skills dissemination with a theoretical twist as well as proposals that dive deep into theory but consider a practical application. Demonstrating the connection of the theory to real-world contexts is of especial interest.  We wish to teach both the hands and the mind although not necessarily in equal parts. Additionally, we encourage that proposers seek inspiration in the theme of the conference: ‘our body is our manual’.

We ask S/W proposers to indicate where on the continuum of practical and theoretical skills their S/W proposal can be placed and provide some insights to whether theory will drive the practical or if the through practical exploration, theory may be developed.

S/W proposals ideally accommodate around 15 participants and we encourage the S/W to be open to any conference participant although this is ultimately at the discretion of the proposers.

Submission deadline: 16 August 2015

Please keep an eye on: http://www.tei-conf.org/16/SW.html for updates. If you have further questions about Studio/Workshops for TEI’16, contact the S/W Chairs at [log in to unmask]

===== ARTS TRACK =====

Our concept of the body is being transformed on several technology fronts. Within the growing proliferation of technologies that blur the boundaries between the digital, physical, machine and lived, artistic works have a place for questioning and framing the impact of these technologies on our lives and proposing new modes of embodiment. Developments in wearable, medical and health technologies, miniaturisation, fabrication technologies, social media and the Internet of Things, are redefining the limits and reach of the body and the cultural practices our bodies are embedded within.

We aim to open up thinking around the body - beyond conventional definitions to include ways in which new ‘bodies’ and notions of self, community and agency are transforming through interactive technologies. The discourse on embodiment is not limited to humans - but also our relationships with other creatures, entities and new materialities.

We seek submissions that articulate specific conceptualisations of body and novel experiences and practices of technology-mediated embodiment, from human to non-human. Submissions should facilitate dialogue around the impacts of technology on our bodies, and how the body and notions of the body being transformed through our use of technologies.

Submission deadline: 25 October 2015

Please keep an eye on: http://www.tei-conf.org/16/art.html for updates. If you have further questions about the Arts Track for TEI’16, contact the Arts Chairs at [log in to unmask]

===== STUDENT DESIGN CHALLENGE =====

Student teams are invited to submit projects on the topic of “tools of creativity”. The work of artists and craftspeople are in many ways defined by their tools, clothing, artifacts of work, and even their bodies. Think paintbrushes, chisels, knives, ballet shoes, and, so on. One of the original inspirations for the field of Tangible Interaction comes from the observation that much of the richness and expressivity of these tools are being lost in the translation to computer-based interfaces. Thus, this year’s challenge focuses on the tools of creative professionals. Student teams should:

* Pick a creative domain. We will be very broad in our definition of “creative”.
* Pick a tool of this domain (for example a painter’s brush, a poet’s pen, a chef’s knife, a dancer’s body, a musician’s violin, etc.) and reimagine it as a physical / digital hybrid.
* If possible think of an embodied metaphor that can be embedded in the tool, e.g. a tool that adds creative sparks or that warms the heart.
* Create a compelling demo with this tool that invites participants to engage in creative exploration at TEI!

Submission deadline: 25 October 2015

Please keep an eye on: http://www.tei-conf.org/16/SDC.html for updates. If you have further questions about the Student Design Challenge for TEI’16, contact the SDC Chairs at [log in to unmask]

===== GRADUATE STUDENT CONSORTIUM =====

TEI’16 will be hosting a Graduate Student Consortium (GSC). Are you
pursuing a PhD in an area related to Tangible, Embedded and Embodied
Interaction and interested to meet other PhD students and share experiences? Find out when, why and how you can participate: http://www.tei-conf.org/16/GSC.html

The GSC is a one day forum where PhD students meet and discuss their work with each other and a panel of experienced TEI researchers in an informal and interactive setting. Applicants may be at various stages of their PhD, but should already have a clear understanding of their main research question and approach. Each applicant should provide a short paper (four pages ACM SIGCHI archival format) describing their PhD project and ongoing work (including context and motivation, research objectives and questions, description of research approach and methods, selected results if applicable, further planned activities). A 1-page statement of motivation for attending the GSC should be appended, resulting in one 5-page pdf file.

Submission deadline: 25 October 2015

Please keep an eye on: http://www.tei-conf.org/16/GSC.html for updates. If you have further questions about the Graduate Student Consortium for TEI’16, contact the GSC Chairs at [log in to unmask]

===== WORK IN PROGRESS =====

The Work-in-Progress track in TEI’16 presents cutting-edge, straight-from-the-lab and hot-from-the-laser-cutter work that is truly in progress. We welcome intermediate reports on high-potential projects that, although not yet finished today, promise to become tomorrows hotly debated breakthroughs. The WIP adds its own value to TEI. With the WIP theme “Direction from Action” we emphasise the value of inquiry grounded in reflection on ongoing design action. Summaries of completed work, work published elsewhere, as well as completed work first rejected as full paper are not appropriate for the WIP.

Submissions should be between 2 and 6 pages in Extended Abstract format and reference a tangible expression of your work, e.g., a prototype, video, research data, a model, mock-ups or research instrument. Double-blind review will assess the ‘in-progress’ character, relevance for TEI, overall quality, innovative power and potential to provoke discussion. Note that at the conference, accepted papers are presented as A0 poster together with the tangible expression! *Please note that we will allocate significant exposure to (two-minute maximum) videos throughout the conference*

Submission deadline: 25 October 2015

Please keep an eye on: http://www.tei-conf.org/16/WIP.html for updates. If you have further questions about the Work in Progress Track for TEI’16, contact the WiP Chairs at [log in to unmask]

===== MORE INFORMATION =====

One author of each accepted submission must register for the conference by January 10th 2016 in order for their paper to be published in the conference proceedings. This holds for all tracks (Papers, Studio/Workshops, Work-in-Progress, Arts track, Graduate Student Consortium and Student Design Challenge). All accepted papers will be published in the ACM digital library.

For additional information about all forms of participation, please visit http://tei-conf.org.

===== SPONSORSHIP =====

We are very happy with our sponsors, without whom TEI 2016 cannot be made possible:

TEI’16 is supported by:

ACM (http://www.acm.org/) and SIGCHI (http://www.sigchi.org/)
Tangible Display (http://www.tangibledisplay.com/) - Bronze Sponsor

For sponsorship opportunities, please visit http://www.tei-conf.org/16/sponsors.html

===== ORGANIZING COMMITTEE =====

Conference chairs
Caroline Hummels, Brygg Ullmer & Saskia Bakker

Program chairs
Bart Hengeveld, Daniel Saakes & Luc Geurts

Studio/workshop chairs
Joep Frens & Mark Baskinger

Arts Track chairs
Lian Loke & George Khut

Student Design Challenge chairs
Michael Horn & Vero Vanden Abeele

Graduate Student Consortium chairs
Eva Hornecker, Elise van den Hoven & Connie Golsteijn

Work in Progress chairs
Jelle van Dijk & Berry Eggen

Demo chairs
Katrin Wolf, Sander Bogers & Jelle Stienstra

Student Volunteers chairs
Augusto Esteves & Miguel Bruns

Venue chairs
Karin Niemantsverdriet & Ine Mols