From:
Manfred Tscheligi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Manfred Tscheligi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2014 06:03:52 -0400
Game Idea Jam for Sport and Exertion Games

at CHI PLAY 2014 - The ACM SIGCHI Annual Symposium on Computer-Human Interaction in Play http://chiplay.org

EXTENDED SUBMISSION DEADLINE: September 1st, 2014

NOTIFICATION: September 7th, 2014

http://workshops.icts.sbg.ac.at/chiplay2014

*** UPDATE ***
As we still have some more space for participants in our Game Idea Jam left, we extended the deadline until September 1st (in order to enable early bird registration). Late decision makers can also apply later in order to run a great Jam with a lot of people. The more the better!

*** IDEA ***
Physical inactivity is one of the greatest public health problems of our century increasing the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes, or specific cancers. The Game Idea Jam brings together game researchers and practitioners in the fields of human-computer interaction, game development, interaction design, instructional design, etc. to collaborate and develop ideas for sports and exertion games that combat physical activity.

The aim of the Game Idea Jam is to:
- Enable game researchers and practitioners with and without development skills to participate.
- Explore jamming through a practice-based collaboration between game researchers and practitioners.
- Develop creative ideas for sport or exertion games combatting physical inactivity.
- Provide the experience of a game jam to our participants in order to gain confidence to integrate this approach into their own practice.

This one-day workshop consists of three game jam break-out sessions.
As no particular game development skills are required for the participation, the participants will be supported with different creative approaches (e.g., Outline of EA Personas, the Exertion Game or PLEX Cards) and a lot of other inspiring materials to choose from.
Due to time constraints there will be no full game developed, but instead the final game idea will be produced in the form of a conceptual video demonstrating the play experience.

*** ATTENDEES ***
We encourage the participation of:

- Game User Researchers
- Designers & Developers
- UI Artists
- Information Architects
- Content Strategists
- Producers
- Sport Enthusiast

*** PARTICIPATION ***
Workshop candidates are asked to send:

1) a motivation statement for their participation (e.g., how they will benefit from the participation),
2) a short list of skills and expertise that helps to evaluate potential matches for collaborative teams (i.e., what are you good at or not good at, what do you know about games, what do you know about sports) and
3) a brief bio (not more than 200 words to be published on the workshop homepage) and portfolio URL (if available)

via email to [log in to unmask] This application should be no more than 3 pages in total in ACM Extended Abstract format (http://www.sigchi.org/publications/chipubform)

*** IMPORTANT DATES ***
Extended Submission Deadline: September 1st, 2014
Notification of Acceptance: September 7th, 2014
One-Day Workshop at CHI PLAY 2014: October 19th, 2014

*** ORGANIZERS ***
Christiane Moser and Manfred Tscheligi (HCI Unit, ICT&S Center, University of Salzburg, Austria) Mark Magnusson (EA Sports, Vancouver, Canada) Florian 'Floyd' Mueller (Exertion Games Lab, RMIT University Melbourne, Australia)