Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2014 01:06:02 +0100
Subject:
Sender:
From:
Wolfgang Stuerzlinger <[log in to unmask]>
Postdoctoral Researcher Positions in Visual Analytics, Human-Computer Interaction, and 3D User Interfaces

Dr. Wolfgang Stuerzlinger and his lab are looking for a several people to join our group in Vancouver, Canada at Simon Fraser University (SFU), School of Interactive Arts + Technology (SIAT). Positions are highly competitive, so only the best candidates will be considered.

Open positions
•	Postdoctoral researcher in Visual Analytics
•	Postdoctoral researcher in Human-Computer Interaction or 3D User Interfaces

Wolfgang Stuerzlinger’s research group specializes in a range of topics in Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) and Virtual Reality (VR). The general aim is user interfaces fit for everyday use.
In Human-Computer Interaction, we study and design basic user interaction technologies, such as pointing, object group selection and text entry. In the face of increasing popularity of user interfaces that are not 100% reliable, such as speech and gesture recognition, we also study how humans deal with such technologies, and what can be done to ameliorate their limitations.
For screens ranging from watches to walls, we work on better methods for user interface creation, with a focus on GUI layout.
Additionally, we study how people analyze big data with human-in-the-loop systems and create new tools to make working with multiple alternate hypotheses in Visual Analytics easier.
In Virtual Reality, we study and design 3D pointing, object manipulation, and navigation methods across many VR input and output technologies. We also work on 3D user interfaces that combine the best of the 2D and 3D worlds.
Moreover, we work on new 3D tracking and immersive display systems, including CAVEs, towards improved VR experiences.
We have a strong research record, with publications in the top venues in Human-Computer Interaction, Virtual Reality, and Computer Graphics. For more information about past work, please visit http://ws.iat.sfu.ca. Our research group prides itself on a strong collaborative culture with a friendly and engaging atmosphere.  Candidates are expected to work well with others.

Your skill set must match the requirements for the above projects. To be considered you must have:
•	a PhD in Computer Science, HCI, VR, or related fields
•	scientific publications in relevant areas
•	strong programming skills (C# or C++ preferred)
•	strong English writing and oral communication skills
•	good user interface design skills
•	a demonstration of strong interest in the projects you have engaged with
•	a sense of humor

SFU has consistently been ranked as one of the top universities in Canada. SIAT, http://siat.sfu.ca is a young, vibrant department at SFU with research and teaching in human-computer interaction, interaction design, and media arts. SIAT is located at the SFU Surrey campus in Greater Vancouver, Canada. Greater Vancouver lies along the west coast of Canada where the Pacific Ocean meets the Coast Mountain range. With a population of over 2 million people, Greater Vancouver is known as one of the most ethnically diverse cities in Canada and has been ranked as one of the most livable cities in the world based on quality of life. Vancouver is a great destination for those who love the outdoors (e.g., skiing, hiking, water sports) as well as the indoors (e.g., museums, art, theatre, hockey).

Funding will be provided at levels commensurate with other Canadian universities. Lab members receive full funding to attend international conferences (e.g., ACM CHI, UIST, IEEE VIS, VR) to present papers about their work at SIAT.

Applicants should email Wolfgang at [log in to unmask] as soon as possible, but prior to Dec 15, 2014. Emails should include:
•	a description of research interests related to my lab’s research
•	a curriculum vitae
•	contact information of three referees
•	three sample publications
Candidates who are close to completing their PhD should document their completion timeline.