Date:
Thu, 6 Aug 2015 11:38:05 +0200
From:
Christoph Stahl <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
                  Call for Contributions
Bringing Together Indoor and Outdoor Mobility Solutions:
 Methodological Approaches for Navigation, Localization
                 and Environment Modeling

             3rd Workshop at the AAL Forum 2015
Thu 24 September 2015, 9:00-17:30h, Ghent, Belgium
            http://mobility-workshop.nmshost.de/

Aim
===
The central aim of this workshop is to bring together researchers, industry representatives, and end-users of ICT-based solutions in the realm of mobility assistance for Ambient Assisted Living. This year’s workshop will be a full-day event in the field trials thematic area on Thursday, so we want to share experiences with user studies in mobile settings.

Theme
=====
ICT-based solutions for increasing the mobility of elderly people in activities of daily living are dedicated to help answering two simple questions: “Where am I?” and “What is the route to my destination?”. Whether the assistance is given by a helpful app running on a portable device, or by a robotic device that additionally provides physical support, solutions must address one or more of the following topics:

* Route planning and accessibility: Given the actual and the desired pose of the user, how do we plan a feasible route that considers barriers, path conditions, and physical effort, i.e. a path that is completely accessible? How do we plan the route such that it accounts for certain POIs?

* Navigation and interaction design: How to present maps and route information to elderly users? Current off-the-shelf solutions don’t consider their special requirements, such as diminished vision and hearing, but also the cognitive load of map-based user interfaces is rather high.  We are also interested in alternative solutions to turn-by-turn instructions.

* Transportation modes and transition: How do we allow for different modes of transportation, e.g. as a pedestrian on foot, with a walker, on a wheelchair, by public transportation, etc.? How can a seamless transition between these achieved?

* Security and orientation: How can we assist users when they get lost, the technical assistance fails, there is an emergency or they need further orientation?

* Seamless indoor and outdoor positioning: Sensorial equipment like GPS and inertial sensors are widely available in mobile devices today and facilitate outdoor localization up to a certain degree of precision. Indoor localization solutions require more sophisticated sensorial equipment such as RFID beacons or Computer Vision/LIDAR. How do we achieve a smooth sensor transition between indoor and outdoor spaces?

* Environmental representations and maps: We want to discuss available map representa­tions suitable for hybrid modeling of indoor and outdoor route networks along with relevant impediments, landmarks, and points of interests. We will further go into issues of standardization and integration of indoor map representations into OSM or comparable databases, and sensor-based approaches to obtain building maps.

Interactive Session
===================
AAL projects in this area usually follow a user-centred design approach, which involves field trials with end users in urban settings outside a lab environment. Hence, we want to share experiences with specific mobility-related problems that may arise. These issues comprise technical and organizational factors, e.g. GPS failures in urban canyons,  weather conditions, safety and security, lack of maps for pedestrians, accessibility issues, taking care of seniors during the field trials, etc.

Desired Contributions
=====================
We encourage you to contribute a 15 min presentation to one of the sessions listed above. To select the presentations and to relate them to the above topics, we would like to ask you to send us a contribution statement with a short abstract of your presentation.
You are also invited to contribute topics or questions to the interactive discussion sessions.

=> Deadline for contributions: 21 August 2015
=> Notification: 28 August 2015

You are encouraged to submit your contribution as early as possible; you will then receive an early response within a week to make you travel plans. Please refer to http://mobility-workshop.nmshost.de/ for instructions how to submit.
The presentations will be published on this website after the workshop.

Contact persons
===============
Dr. Christoph Stahl
German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence (DFKI)
Enrique-Schmidt-Str. 5
D-28359 Bremen
Germany
Email: [log in to unmask]

Programme Committee
Christoph Stahl, DFKI, Germany
Serge Autexier, DFKI, Germany
Falko Schmidt, GuidingPeople, Netherlands
Luigi Palopoli, DISI, University of Trento, Italy
Victor Sánchez, ISOIN, Spain
Wilko Heuten, OFFIS, Germany
Cornelia Schneider, Salzburg Research, Austria
Andreas Rumsch, iHomeLab, Switzerland