Sender:
Date:
Mon, 13 Jun 2016 07:07:25 +0000
From:
Joel Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
UbiComp 2016 Workshop on New Horizons for the IoT in Everyday Life: Proactive, Shared, Sustainable

KEY DATES
*Extended* submission: 17 June 2016
Notifications: 28 June 2016
Workshop: 12 September 2016, Heidelberg, Germany.

Successful submissions will be published in the ACM Digital Library upon request.

** iothorizons.wordpress.com<http://iothorizons.wordpress.com> **

THE WORKSHOP
IoT applications that act on behalf of people are becoming reality. This one-day workshop will explore the opportunities and challenges that arise when these proactive technologies become increasingly embedded in our world and carried on our bodies, particularly when converging with the emerging ‘sharing economy’ paradigm. IoT sensors enable new sharing services that are personalised, hyperlocal, and can be delivered at short notice, for example food sharing among neighbours to prevent waste. Yet, there are many design challenges and ethical concerns that the HCI community needs to address to make these proactive services intelligible and accountable. In this workshop we seek to begin a dialogue to gather and respond to these challenges, collect design examples and map the space, develop ideas and prototypes, and learn from each other.

SUBMISSIONS
We invite contributions in the form of a poster and a 2-4 page abstract in SIGCHI extended abstract format, such as:
- Studies, concepts and positions on the IoT-enabled sharing economy;
- User studies of deployments of proactive IoT technologies and/or sharing economies ‘in the wild’,
- Interaction design for intelligible and accountable user interfaces for the proactive IoT;
- Techniques for IoT data acquisition, processing, presentation and action for and with users that can support proactive IoT and/or sharing economies applications;
- Risks and ethical concerns associated with a proactive IoT-enabled sharing economy.

Please submit your poster and abstract to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. Contributions will be reviewed by at least two organisers. Note that at least one author of each accepted contribution must attend the workshop.

ORGANISERS
Joel Fischer, University of Nottingham
James Colley, University of Nottingham
Ewa Luger, Microsoft Research Cambridge
Mike Golembewski, Microsoft Research Cambridge
Enrico Costanza, University of Southampton
Sarvapali ‘Gopal’ Ramchurn, University of Southampton
Stephen Viller, University of Queensland
Ian Oakley, Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology
Jon Froehlich, University of Maryland

More info at iothorizons.wordpress.com<http://iothorizons.wordpress.com>

University of Nottingham.

permitted by UK legislation.