Sender:
Date:
Tue, 4 Aug 2015 13:22:44 -0400
From:
Dan Cosley <[log in to unmask]>
(Please feel free to redistribute -- Dan)

Call for Papers for the Special Issue on:

The examined life: Personal uses for personal data

Special Issue Editors: Dan Cosley (Cornell), Elizabeth Churchill
(Google), Jodi Forlizzi (Carnegie Mellon), Sean Munson (University of
Washington)

The last 15 years have seen a huge increase in the amount and types of
personal data that are now available about people and their activities,
including:

* Tracked personal data about fitness, nutrition, sleep, and mood
* Personal archives: email, mobile phone records, photos, documents
* Activity in and across physical settings (location data) and online
settings such as  social media and other sites: Facebook, Flickr,
Twitter, Tumblr

So far, a dominant question has been how such personal data helps
companies and researchers learn more about people: about human behavior
in different contexts, and our actions as individuals and in groups.
Until recently much less attention has been paid to how such data might
help people themselves, and what could be done to establish greater
personal value.

This picture is now beginning to change. The landscape is shifting with
the rise of the Quantified Self movement and the emergence of
affordable, usable new technologies that collect personal data that is
both automatically sensed (FitBit, smartphone sensors) and/or manually
journaled (Patients Like Me, Fitday). New systems are being adopted that
encourage people to reflect on their past social media data; examples
include TimeHop and Facebook's On This Day. The goals of such systems
are primarily to provide insight and value to end users, and only
secondarily to the companies that create and maintain them.

This shift towards personal use leads to challenging new research
questions. This special issue focuses on emerging research about how
people might appropriate and use personal data for personal purposes
such as:

* Self-monitoring and self-understanding
* Identity work, self-representation, reminiscing, and legacy
* Behavior change that might promote physical and mental well-being
* Developing and maintaining interpersonal and community relationships
* Monitoring and managing their relationships with organizations and
applications

We aim to bring together research that spans this wide set of issues to
integrate work in different parts of this emerging space.

Submissions should address key questions in personal informatics. The
following questions are intended to be inspiring, not limiting:

* How can we appropriate personal data to make it personally useful or
helpful?
* How do personal data archives and systems enhance human capabilities,
without increasing our dependency on them?
* How do we shift from technologies that simply capture to those that
allow us to understand and change ourselves?
* What might be novel uses or applications for personal data?
* What specific ethical or privacy challenges surround the study or
design of systems that leverage personal data?
* How might such uses of personal data change our relationship to
agencies, companies, services and applications?

We welcome approaches that use a broad range of methods including system
building and design work, qualitative analysis of and experiments using
existing tools, and critical and theoretical reflections on the power
and pitfalls of what our data might say about us.

Timeline for submissions and reviews:

* Proposals due Oct 15 2015
* First drafts Apr 1 2016
* First reviews/responses Jun 15 2016
* Revisions Oct 15 2016
* Second reviews/responses Dec 15 2016
* Final papers due Feb 1 2017

=== Submission of Proposals ===

To help authors find a good fit, we will solicit proposals. Proposals
should be about 1000 words and provide a clear indication of what the
paper is about. Note that you must use the template provided on the
journal website and available at
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9BP5wzgBCPnelJFN1hZTWtLTEU/edit.
Proposals will be evaluated for relevance to the special issue theme,
and feedback will be given.  Both proposal and full paper submissions
should be submitted to the HCI Editorial site at
http://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/hci. Follow the guidelines and
instructions for submissions on the site. There is a place on the
submission site to note that your submission is for the special issue.
Full paper Special Issue submissions will be peer reviewed to the usual
standards of the HCI journal.

A copy of this call is available online at
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LG4wHIFC7JLu3m7GUPsHoy5eqr1bFtzBzFf_R_Wu7yQ.
  For questions about the special issue, please send mail to