Sender:
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2017 17:17:06 +0100
From:
Marko Tkalcic <[log in to unmask]>
2nd Workshop on Surprise, Opposition, and Obstruction in Adaptive and
Personalized Systems (SOAP)
held in conjunction with UMAP 2017, 9-12th July, 2017, Bratislava, Slovakia

https://soapworkshop2017.wordpress.com

Submission deadline: *20. April, 2017*

Call for Papers

The phenomenon often referred to as the "filter-bubble," i.e., the
effect that collaborative, as well as content-based recommender systems
keep making obvious, uninspiring, and therefore disengaging suggestions
based on previous interactions, has emphasized the value of system
qualities beyond pure accuracy, e.g., diversity, novelty, serendipity,
or unexpectedness, to keep the user satisfied. In fact, these approaches
to kicking the user out of his or her "comfort zone" seem to be highly
promising methods to increase satisfaction with a system in the long
run. To go even one step further, we also want to explore concepts along
three qualities we refer to as surprise, opposition, and obstruction.
Surprise relates to existing concepts like serendipity in complex
scenarios. Opposition, as an extreme form of variation, is highly
subjective and context-dependent. Obstruction refers to the intentional
restriction of functionality through the machine in an active manner by
"embodying opposition". We are interested in these aspects in the
context of personalized and adaptive systems, such as recommender
systems, user modeling, e.g., through personality-based preference
models, and creative processes that are facilitated through
collaborations with intelligent machines.

Topics of Interest:

- Unexpectedness in retrieval and recommender systems
- Serendipity, diversity, and novelty
- User-centric evaluation studies on aspects of diversity and serendipity
- Approaches to content discovery
- Inspirational recommender systems
- Aspects of personalization in inspirational systems
- User models facilitating imitation, subversion, and opposition in
creative and cooperative systems
- Learning to variate
- Systems and user models promoting self-awareness and/or self-growth
- Anti-communal reinforcement
- Anti-confirmation bias
- Anti-polarization
- Chance and randomness in intelligent systems
- Case studies of intelligent systems in creative domains, e.g., music
creation

Important Dates and Format

Workshop paper submission deadline: April 20, 2017
Notification to authors: May 20, 2017
Camera-ready paper: May 28, 2017

The SOAP workshop will be held in a mini-conference style. Based on the
recency of the above mentioned developments in recommender systems,
music creation, and even computational creativity research, we consider
this to be a breaking topic highly relevant to the UMAP community and
beyond. We ask prospective participants to submit a paper detailing
their position or technical contribution with regard to the questions
discussed above prior to the workshop. To this end, we allow for
different types of paper entries (non-anonymized):

- position paper (extended abstract, up to 4 pages)
- technical short paper (up to 4 pages)
- technical full paper (up to 6 pages)

Submissions are to be made through the SOAP submission website on EasyChair:

https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=soap20170

Submission ACM Standard (SIGCONF) templates:
http://www.acm.org/publications/proceedings­-template .

Submissions will be reviewed by at least three members of the program
committee to select participants. Authors of accepted submissions will
be required to give a short presentation at the workshop.

All accepted papers will be published by ACM as a joint volume of
Extended UMAP 2017 Proceedings and will be available via the ACM Digital
Library. At least one author of each accepted paper must register for
the particular workshop and present the paper there. We encourage the
authors to register for the whole conference.

Organizers:
-----------

Program Chairs

- Peter Knees, Vienna University of Technology, Austria
- Kristina Andersen, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden
- Alan Said, University of Skövde, Skövde, Sweden
- Marko Tkalčič, Free University of Bozen-Bolzano, Italy

Program Committee

- Alejandro Bellogín – Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Spain
- Robin Burke – DePaul, USA
- Berardina De Carolis – University of Bari, Italy
- Julia Neidhardt – TU Wien, Austria
- Matevz Pesek – University of Ljubljana, Slovenia
- Markus Schedl – Johannes Kepler University, Austria
- Iván Cantador – Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Spain
- Marco De Gemmis – University of Bari, Italy
- Michael Ekstrand – Boise State University, USA
- Alexander Felfernig – TU Graz, Austria
- Pasquale Lops – University of Bari, Italy
- Bruce Ferwerda – Johannes Kepler University, Austria
- Panagiotis Adamopoulos – University of Minnesota, USA
- Matthias Braunhofer – BMW, Germany
- Mehdi Elahi – Free University of Bozen-Bolzano, Italy
- Mouzhi Ge – TU Dortmund, Germany
- Giovanni Semeraro – University of Bari, Italy
- Julián Urbano – Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Spain
- Saul Vargas – Mendeley, England
- Martijn Willemsen – TU Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Contact: soap2017-0 AT easychair DOT org

Dr. Marko Tkalcic
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://markotkalcic.wordpress.com
Skype : markotkalcic