From:
Max Pfeiffer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Max Pfeiffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 2016 15:36:25 +0100
Call for Participationin a Hands-on Course on EMS at CHI’16

Recently, Human Computer Interaction researchers have brought more
immersive and means to actuate the users’ body. This has led to
developments such as PossessedHand [CHI’11], Pedestrian Cruise Control
[CHI’15] or Affordance++ [CHI’15]. Come join us in this Course at CHI’16
and experience EMS.

What will you learn in this course?

In this course we present electrical-muscle stimulation in a hands-on
experience. We provide a wearable device ready-to-use and medically
compliant kit (a), which allows quick Wizard-of-Oz prototyping from any
tablet or smartphone, thus combining the benefits of haptics with
mobility. We provide mobile app to control easily the wearable device
remotely. We will further provide hands-on examples of wearable
prototypes built on android phones, smart-watches and muscle sensing
devices such as the MYO.

You take home the code and the schematics to reproduce EMS control
boards, the slides, the paper handouts, and more importantly the
experience with EMS to share with your students and colleagues.

What do you need to bring?

Nothing, we will provide everything, including EMS device, electrodes,
EMS control board, smartphones, etc. If you have your own Android phone
you can bring it too.

Who’s organizing?

Pedro Lopes <mailto:http://plopes.org/>([log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>) & Max Pfeiffer
<http://hci.uni-hannover.de/people/max>([log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>) with the support of their advisors
Patrick Baudisch <mailto:http://hpi.de/baudisch/home.html>(Hasso
Plattner Institut) and Michael Rohs
<http://hci.uni-hannover.de/people>(Leibnitz University, Hannover)

When does the course take place?
When: the first day of CHI’16, Monday, May 9^th , at 16:00, Room 210D.

How to register

Course registration at: chi2016.acm.org/wp/registration/
<https://chi2016.acm.org/wp/registration/>

Send us an email too: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>__

The course cost 25$.

Where can I read more information?

Visit our website at: chi16.plopes.org

Further Reading

Haptic feedback has been a long-standing promise for the interactive
channel between humans and computers. It allows leveraging other
faculties such as proprioception instead of using the visual sense,
which is often overloaded with traditional UIs. Haptic feedback opens
more channels of perception. It provides a direct way to interface with
the user’s body, which increases the realism of interaction – as happens
with force-feedback and tactile stimuli.

However, most haptic technologies have been away from the current trend
in Human-Computer Interaction (HCI): mobility and wearability. Therefore
they are bound for lab and special case such as surgical systems. This
happened because most haptic resist miniaturization, because they
require physical motors, mechanics and consume hutch amount of
electricity. Regard to that the costs and form factor are not suitably
for mobile usage in everyday life.

Researchers have proposed miniaturizing and simplify haptic devices by
using electrical-muscle stimulation as to actuate the muscles directly,
rather than actuating through mechanics and hutch apertures. Although
the technique was first explored in the 60’s and 70’s, it has huge
implications for HCI as it allows for mobile haptic devices capable of
driving realistic forces, such as Muscle-Propelled Force Feedback, which
fits the back of a mobile phone. Furthermore, researchers showed how to
shrink down a eyes-free I/O haptic device to the size of a wearable
bracelet, as demonstrated by Pose-IO.

Moreover, this technique has been shown to work not just for
force-feedback but also to haptic-guidance situations and for more
realistic interaction in with virtual objects, such as PosessedHand
which aids in learning a new instrument, feeling virtual objects and
navigation support. For more realistic interaction with game objects
Pfeiffer et al. used electrical-muscle stimulation in games for public
displays. Hence, different objects properties (soft, hard) were
simulated for interaction with different gestures (touch, grasp, punch)
with a wearable system.

In this course we provide researchers with a toolkit to experience EMS.
We expect that the synergies between different researchers will generate
new interesting applications and ground-breaking ideas around electrical
muscle stimulation in HCI.

Kind regards,
Max

--