From:
Nicholas Belkin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 2015 11:08:04 -0800
The School of Communication & Information (SC&I) at Rutgers University
invites applications from talented and energetic prospective students
wanting to help shape the future of research in Information Retrieval,
Social Media, and related areas. Rutgers is one of the premier research
universities in the US and is located very close to New York City.

Rutgers: http://www.rutgers.edu/
SC&I: http://comminfo.rutgers.edu/
SC&I PhD program:
http://comminfo.rutgers.edu/ph-d-program/getting-in-admission-aid.html
iSchool concentration of the PhD program:
http://comminfo.rutgers.edu/phd-program/lis-concentration.html

We have multiple openings to fully support PhD students for research
focusing on information retrieval/seeking, social media, and their
intersection. Specifically, Prof. Nick Belkin and Prof. Chirag Shah are
looking for new PhD students to work with them on their newly funded NSF
project on "Characterizing and Evaluating Whole Session Interactive
Information Retrieval” (http://inforetrieval.org/iir/). The funding
includes a stipend of at least $26,000, full waiver of tuition and fees,
health benefits and travel support.

The deadline for application with a consideration for financial
assistant is January 15th (apply earlier if possible).

Finally, know that we have a fairly centralized application process,
which means we do not get to make any decisions about whether or not to
accept a given student -- it is a much more holistic evaluation of each
applicant's overall promise done by the graduate school and the PhD
faculty at SC&I.

That said, if you are applying with a particular interest in information
retrieval/seeking or social media, please 1) mention our names in your
statement of interest, and 2) send us a brief email with a link to your
CV so we can keep an eye out for your application and put a good word in
for you. We receive *many* such emails so unfortunately cannot reply to
all, but trust we'll receive it if you send it.

Best,
Nick Belkin
Chirag Shah
Rutgers University

--
Nicholas J. Belkin
Distinguished Professor of Information Science
School of Communication & Information
Rutgers University
4 Huntington Street
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1071 USA