From:
Foad Hamidi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Foad Hamidi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jul 2016 17:55:53 -0400
Engaging with Users and Stakeholders:
The Emotional and the Personal

A Workshop at the ACM 2016 Group Conference
November 13th, 2016
Sanibel Island, Florida

As HCI and CSCW researchers and practitioners, we are increasingly working in complex social and political contexts where our research activities involve emotional labor and where we have to confront moral and emotional dilemmas. Given the potential impact of these challenging situations on our wellbeing and professional performance, there is much need for a discourse on affective impact of research on the researcher and strategies on how this aspect of research can be shared with the community.  In this workshop, we invite discussion and reflection on the experiences of distress and the role of informal coping mechanisms (e.g., personal narratives) to address them. We will create a forum for discussion concerning the issue of affective impact on the researcher who, in the context of HCI or CSCW user-centered design or research, develop close empathic and trusting relationships with stakeholders in such settings; engagements that often entail emotional labor, which, in turn, may generate distress.

This workshop is intended to complement the existing body of work and to provide new directions of inquiry and new modes of engagement with its topic area.  In particular, this workshop, in addition to providing a venue for scholarly work, will create an explicit space for the personal narrative.

In order to collaboratively attain these goals, we invite discussion on the following questions:

•	What can we learn from experiences from successful and unsuccessful projects in sensitive settings that inform better approaches in the future?

•	How can we build a repertoire of qualitative case studies and empirically grounded concepts to inform HCI practice in sensitive settings?

•	How can we adopt holistic and inclusive approaches to topics such as aging, disability and social marginalization and apply them to activities in the field?

•	How can our understanding of the constructed notions of disability and aging translate to other contexts such as working with children and adults living in low-income and/or marginalized contexts?

•	How can researchers and practitioners better prepare themselves to resolve emotional and personal encounters in the field?

We invite researchers and practitioners to submit original papers that address the themes of the workshop (including related perspectives not covered in the questions stated above) from an experiential, theoretical, conceptual or empirical perspective. Given the theme of the workshop, we particularly encourage the inclusion of personal narratives in the form of first-person subjective accounts of experiences of working in sensitive settings, along with reflections and lessons learned. Our goal is for the community to discuss a variety of “points of view” based on research practice and/or relevant theoretical and conceptual literature. We suggest that papers include (when applicable) the research context, participant population, methodology, research design, moments of tension, resolution, support systems and related literature.

Submissions must be between 2-4 pages (excluding references) in the SIGCHI Conference format and should not be anonymized. Care should be taken for proper de-identification of research participants/stakeholders in the personal narratives. Authors of accepted position papers will present in the workshop sessions.

Submissions should be emailed to [log in to unmask]
Please send any inquiries to Foad Hamidi ([log in to unmask])

Important Dates
August 20th 2016              Submissions deadline
September 20th 2016	       Review results (and feedback) provided to authors
October 20th 2016            Final papers due
November 13th 2016        Workshop at Group, Sanibel Island
November 13th-16th 2016 Group Conference, Sanibel Island

Program Committee
•	Foad Hamidi, York University, Canada
•	Claudia Müller, University of Siegen, Germany
•	Melanie Baljko, York University, Canada
•	Marén Schorch, University of Siegen, Germany
•	Myriam Lewkowicz, Troyes University of Technology, France
•	Abigale Stangl, University of Colorado-Boulder, USA

For more information about the workshop organizers, please visit the workshop website at: www.researcherinthesensitive.wordpress.com/about-us