From:
"Susan M. Dray" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan M. Dray
Date:
Sat, 31 Dec 2016 08:13:25 -0600
Introducing the New Kid Venue on the Block:  Remix

—  If you’re an academic, do you ever wish you could get some feedback on how your research might apply to or be informed by so-called “real world” problems?

— If you’re a practitioner, do you ever wonder what research, old and new, might have to say about the problems you are researching?

— Do you have experience working in the interstitial spaces between research and practice — experiences with startups or entrepreneurship? experiences with service learning? experiences transitioning between researcher and practitioner roles?

— Did you ever have a “failure experience” in the lab or office that would count as a “fabulous flop” that might prove to be enlightening for someone following in your footsteps so that they could avoid it?

If you answered “yes” to any of these, you should consider submitting to the newest CHI venue, “Remix.”  This venue was born out of the desire we’ve heard expressed for years to have more opportunities for dialogue among academics, practitioners and pracademics (that’s a real word BTW).  We’ve designed Remix to allow exactly that — time to talk and share our sometimes divergent perspectives so we understand each other better after the sessions.  We’ve also highlighted genres of contributions that exist in those wonderful spaces between research and practice that have never had an explicit home at CHI before.

You might say, “But I do that at the coffee breaks.” But do you really?  Most conversations during these times occur between old friends, collaborators, and colleagues, with relatively little cross-border conversation.  Remix is here to give us a more structured way of starting the conversation, and to engage in it fully with other people who are both like us — and, perhaps more importantly, unlike us.

Because this is the first year for this venue, we know there will be some kinks to shake out, so if you have any specific suggestions or questions, please let us know. And please consider submitting to this exciting new venue.  After all, the cross-pollinating conversations need to start somewhere — come have those conversations with us at Remix!
More at:
https://chi2017.acm.org/remix.html <https://chi2017.acm.org/remix.html>

Hope to see your proposal soon - and to see you at Remix in Denver regardless!

Amy Voida, University of Colorado, Boulder
Susan Dray, Dray & Associates

Susan M. Dray
Dray & Associates
+1 952.463.0505