From:
Amy Hurst <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amy Hurst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Apr 2016 12:27:52 -0400
The Human-Centered Computing (HCC) MS program at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC) is accepting applications for the incoming Fall 2016 class. All application materials must be received by May 1st, 2016 (http://hcc.umbc.edu/ <http://hcc.umbc.edu/>).

The MS program in Human-Centered Computing (HCC) is an interdisciplinary program that has been training HCC practitioners and researchers since 2006. Human-Centered Computing focuses on the design, implementation, and evaluation of interactive information technology systems that are both usable and accessible. Fundamentally, the goal of Human-Centered Computing is an understanding of how humans interact with information technologies and to use this information to improve the lives of those individuals.

Our HCC Master's has two tracks: a Practitioner Track for those who wish to become UX, IA, or usability professionals and a Research Track for those who are interested in pursuing a Master's Thesis and possibly apply to a PhD program. Graduates from our program have moved on to be UX directors in both government and industry positions, and joined top HCC PhD research programs. The program typically takes full-time students two years to complete, and students in both tracks must complete 30 credits (10  3-hour courses) at the graduate level (see courses here: http://bit.ly/umbc-hcc-courses <http://bit.ly/umbc-hcc-courses>).

The program performs two rounds of admissions annually and students may be admitted to the program in either the Fall or Spring semesters. The annual deadlines for the MS Program are May 1 for Fall and October 1 for Spring. More details about the application process can be found here: http://gradschool.umbc.edu

The program has recently grown with the expansion of our faculty (http://hcc.umbc.edu/#faculty <http://hcc.umbc.edu/#faculty>). With the development of the Interactive Systems Research Center (ISRC – http://isrc.umbc.edu/ <http://isrc.umbc.edu/>), the program provides students with a truly interdisciplinary set of collaborators and research opportunities across the UMBC campus.

More information about the Human-Centered Computing PhD program can be found at http://hcc.umbc.edu/ <http://hcc.umbc.edu/> or email the graduate program director at [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

About UMBC
UMBC offers academically talented students a strong liberal arts foundation that prepares them for research or practitioner careers, community service, and leadership. We are dedicated to cultural and ethnic diversity, social responsibility and lifelong learning. The 2015 US News and World Report Best Colleges report placed UMBC fourth in the Most Innovative National Universities category and sixth in Best Undergraduate Teaching, National Universities, and was recently recognized as one of the world’s Top Young Universities by Higher Times Education.

UMBC’s campus is located off I-95 between Baltimore and Washington DC and less than 10 minutes from the BWI airport and Amtrak station. Located at the head of the Chesapeake Bay, Baltimore has all the advantages of modern, urban living, including professional sports, major art galleries, theaters and a symphony orchestra. The city’s famous Inner Harbor area is an exciting center for entertainment and shopping. Our campus is ten minutes from downtown Baltimore and 30 from the D.C. Beltway, offering easy access to the region’s resources by car or public transportation.