**Apologies for cross-postings***
*Handbook of Input and 3D User Interaction: Theory and Practice*
Call for Book Chapters and Associate Editors for *Handbook of Input and 3D
User Interaction: Theory and Practice* to be published by CRC Press (Taylor
and Francis). This book will complement existing handbooks in CRC
Press: 1)* Human
Computer Interaction Handbook: Fundamentals, Evolving Technologies, and
Emerging Applications* and 2) *Handbook of Virtual Environments: Design,
Implementation, and Applications*. In other words, we don’t want to repeat
chapters from those books unless it is necessary to expand.
Handbook of Input and 3D User Interaction: Theory and Practice is looking
to have comprehensive chapters dealing with Input and 3D User Interaction,
including the following topics (but not limited):
- User Interaction Techniques
- 3D User Interfaces
- Gesture Recognition
- MEMS IMU
- Formal Modeling of Gesture Recognition.
- Multi-modal Interaction
- Input Devices
- Formal modeling for Input Devices and related topics (see Gesture
- 3D Navigation Techniques
- Parallel programming for Input devices and Gesture Recognition
- Design and Evaluation methods for Input devices, User Interaction, and
3D User Interfaces
- 3D Stereoscopic interaction techniques.
- Input Techniques
- Intelligent (and adaptive) user interfaces
- Domain specific techniques
- Sensor Techniques (for user interaction – see Gesture Recognition)
- Vision techniques (for user interaction – see Gesture Recognition)
- Design Approaches and Implementations Strategies (similar to
- Testing and Evaluation for user interfaces, input techniques, or
others. (see topics)
- Virtual Environments, Virtual Reality, Mixed Reality, and Augmented
Reality in reference to input devices, user interaction, and/or 3D user
- Hardware consideration for input devices.
- Software consideration for input devices.
- Case Studies and Selected applications for User Interaction, Input
Techniques, and others (applying to topics mentioned)
I recommend looking at VE handbook or HCI handbook to understand the idea
of our handbook (or email me).
We are looking for chapter proposals (1 – 2 pages), which, if selected,
will become chapters of the book. We are also looking for additional
associate editors for this book that will help to select chapters and sort
topics. We already have a few volunteers.
The size of the book is expected to be similar the VE handbook (latest
edition) or a bit smaller.
Proposal deadline (1 – 2 proposal, and bio or cv of main author): November
Decision deadline: November 23rd, 2015.
If selected, full chapter is due: February 26th, 2015.
Revisions after full draft may be required. We do ask the authors to send
drafts before the deadline to work with them and make sure we are on the
Please contact me at [log in to unmask] (or the email that was used to send
In related news, for those of you that would like to contribute very
applied chapter (code and implementation), CRC Press is already working
with us on a 3D Input and User Interactions Gems type of book, similar to
Game Engines Gems (Graphics Gems, GPUPRO,… series). The call for this will
be send sometime in 2016 but you can ask me anything about it, if you like.
This also means that the handbook is more oriented toward theory and
techniques, leaving pure implementation chapters for the gems series. This
does not mean that the handbook may not have some snippet of code if needed
but the handbook will be more in line with existing HCI and VR handbooks of
Finally, the *Interaction Design for 3D User Interfaces: The World of
Modern Input Devices for Research, Applications, and Game Development*book
(which was already completed) is expected to be released for sale by
Francisco R. Ortega, Ph.D.
Computer Science - 3D User Interfaces
Visiting Post-Doc Fellow at HPDRC
Florida International University.
Former McKnight DYF Fellow & GAANN Fellow
"No me quieras por que gané, necesito que me quieras para ganar" -- Marcelo
For news of CHI books, courses & software, join CHI-RESOURCES
mailto: [log in to unmask]
To unsubscribe from CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS send an email to
mailto:[log in to unmask]
For further details of CHI lists see http://listserv.acm.org