CHI-RESOURCES Archives

ACM SIGCHI Resources (Mailing List)

CHI-RESOURCES@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
Brent Beckley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brent Beckley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jan 2017 13:39:23 -0500
Morgan & Claypool Publishers is proud to announce the recent publication of
a new book in Human-Centered Informatics series.

From Tool to Partner: The Evolution of Human-Computer Interaction

By Jonathan Grudin, Microsoft Research

ISBN: 9781627059633 | PDF ISBN: 9781627059473

Copyright C 2017 | 183 Pages | Publication Date: January, 2017
(Digital Library Subscribers):
http://www.morganclaypool.com/doi/10.2200/S00745ED1V01Y201612HCI035

(Print & Individual E-book - Retail): http://bit.ly/2iB1Bur

This is the first comprehensive history of human-computer interaction (HCI).
Whether you are a user-experience professional or an academic researcher,
whether you identify with computer science, human factors, information
systems, information science, design, or communication, you can discover how
your experiences fit into the expanding field of HCI. You can determine
where to look for relevant information in other fields, and where you won't
find it.

This book describes the different fields that have participated in improving
our digital tools. It is organized chronologically, describing major
developments across fields in each period. Computer use has changed
radically, but many underlying forces are constant. Technology has changed
rapidly, human nature very little. An irresistible force meets an immovable
object. The exponential rate of technological change gives us little time to
react before technology moves on. Patterns and trajectories described in
this book provide your best chance to anticipate what could come next.

We have reached a turning point. Tools that we built for ourselves to use
are increasingly influencing how we use them, in ways that are planned and
sometimes unplanned. The book ends with issues worthy of consideration as we
explore the new world that we and our digital partners are shaping.

If you have any questions, please contact me directly at

Brent Beckley
Direct Marketing Manager
Morgan & Claypool Publishers

 <https://twitter.com/MorganClaypool> @MorganClaypool (Twitter)