From:
AppContest VNC <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AppContest VNC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Sep 2016 12:56:12 +0800
[ We apologize if you receive multiple copies of this Call for Apps.]

IEEE VNC 2016 Mobile App Contest / Call for Apps
Dec. 8, 2016 - Columbus, Ohio, USA
http://www.ieee-vnc.org/apps.html

# Important Dates

- App Registration -- *September 29, 2016 (extended)*
- App Submission -- October 30, 2016
- Finalist Notification -- November 10, 2016
- Finalist Demonstration – December 8, 2016 (during the conference)

## Call for Apps

Mobile and wearable technologies are undergoing massive growth and the
Internet-of-Things (IoT) is expected to drive network traffic to
unprecedented levels. The challenge of interacting with automated (and
connected) vehicles is also creating opportunities for the further
development of mobile and wearable technologies.

IEEE VNC 2016 is seeking to encourage innovation in vehicular networking
and communication systems by organizing its first ever mobile app contest,
to be run in conjunction with the main conference. The contest is aimed at
novel mobile applications associated with autonomous vehicles, transport
vehicles, passenger cars, and even two-wheeled vehicles. This is a
platform-neutral contest. Applications may be developed for, but are not
limited to, Android, iOS, Windows Phone, etc.

# Topics of interest include (but are not limited to):

- Eco-driving
- Safe driving
- Vehicle-to-Vehicle communication
- Traffic congestion
- Parking resource management
- Human-Vehicle Interaction
- Alternative small vehicles

# The Prize

- First prize: USD 4,000
- Second prize: USD 2,000
- Third prize: USD 1,000

# Eligibility

The VNC App Contest is open to the following:
- Individuals who have reached the age of majority in their jurisdiction of
residence at the time of entry.
- Teams of eligible individuals.
- Teams of eligible individuals entering on behalf of organizations
(including corporations, not-for-profit corporations, and other nonprofit
organizations, corporations or organizations not potentially affiliated
with our sponsors, limited liability companies, partnerships, and other
legal entities) that have been organized or incorporated at the time of
entry.

Individual members of teams or organizations may join more than one team
and are eligible to enter on an individual basis as well.

Any team or organization entering the App Contest must appoint one
individual (the “Representative”) enter a submission and act on their
behalf. The Representative must meet the eligibility requirements outlined
above. Upon entering a Submission on the Site on behalf of a team or
organization, you are deemed the Representative, authorized to act on
behalf of your team or organization.

# Submission Requirement

All participants in the VNC App Contest must adhere to the following:
- Register for the contest by September 15, 2016 through the VNC online
submission system (EDAS: https://edas.info/newPaper.php?c=22809&track=81877).
To complete registration, developers must provide a list of team members
and a brief description of the App. The representative of each team must
physically attend VNC 2016 to present their submission.
- To be considered a finalist, developers must submit the following
materials by Oct 30, 2016:
** Code
>>> Android Apps: You must upload an .apk file.
>>> iOS Apps: You must upload a test build.
>>> Others: For other platforms, please upload the executable binary or
source codes in a single compressed file.

** Two-page paper
>>> The proposal must be in PDF format, no longer than two pages. Papers
must provide the name of the App and a description (i.e., the goal,
features, functionality, applied techniques, and/or future enhancement),
innovation and/or uniqueness in marketing, as well as a list of similar or
related apps in market when applicable. They must also provide the names
and contact information of the author(s). A typical length is 2 pages in
IEEE conference paper format, which can be found in the submission
guidelines on the VNC website. The submission may be shorter if the
application can be described and supported in fewer pages.

** Video
>>> Less than 5 minutes in length. Footage must include a comprehensive
demonstration clearly outlining the features and functionality of the App.

- Finalists will be announced on Nov. 10, 2016. Finalists must attend VNC
'16 and provide a 15-minute demonstration of the App.

- The following requirements must be followed in the development of all
Apps:

** Language Requirements
>>> All Submission materials must be in English.

** App Requirements
>>> Functionality: The App must be ready to install and operate on the
platform for which it is intended. The App must function as depicted in the
video.
>>> Platforms: Submitted Apps must be implemented on at least one of
Android or iOS mobile devices, including phones, tablets, and/or watches,
which are suitable for demonstration. All necessary servers or sensors must
also be available, as developers will be expected to demonstrate the entire
App system if selected as a finalist.
>>> Originality: Apps must be newly created by the developer. Apps that
have been previously published or posted on Google Play or Apple Store are
ineligible. The Apps may not be submitted simultaneously to another contest.
>>> Copyright issues: All materials used in the app, including drawings,
images, sounds, and computer code, must be original. It is the
responsibility of the individual making the submission to secure necessary
permissions and/or licenses for the use of any auxiliary materials that
include the work of third-party individuals or organizations (including
copyrighted music or movie excerpts).

# Evaluation Criteria

- Creativity and Innovation: Inventive new ideas for the transportation
sector; creativity and design that makes an impact.
- Potential Value: Potential to assist individuals, organizations, or
communities to make informed decisions.
- Technical Depth: Technical expertise in wireless communication, data
analytics, machine learning, visualization, etc.
- Completeness: Authors should not overstate the capability of their apps.
All submissions must be a complete implementation according to the
specifications described in the video demonstration and documentation.
- User Interface and User Experience: Ease of use, aesthetic appeal,
suitable for the targeted vehicle usage scenarios.

# For any further information, email: [log in to unmask] with
subject line "[VNC 2016 App Contest] Inquiry"