From:
Jo Vermeulen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jo Vermeulen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Sep 2016 15:19:57 -0600
**** Please distribute ****

"Cross-Surface: Challenges and Opportunities of Spatial and Proxemic
Interaction"

*Call for Papers*

http://cross-surface.com/

In conjunction with ACM ISS 2016
November 6-9, 2016, Niagara Falls, Canada

*Important Dates*
-----------------

Submission Deadline: September 30, 2016 (5pm PDT)
Notification to Authors: October 5, 2016
Camera-Ready Papers: TBA
Workshop: November 6, 2016

*Workshop Theme*
----------------

In this workshop, we will review and discuss open issues, technical
challenges and conceptual models for multi-device spatial or
proxemic interaction. We aim to bring together researchers, students
and practitioners working on technical infrastructures, studies and
designs of spatial interfaces, or domain specific multi-device
applications that use space as a unit of analysis. We focus specifically
on analysing how such interfaces, tools and tracking technology can be
deployed “in the wild”. The workshop will facilitate knowledge exchange
about the current state of spatial and proxemic interactive systems,
identify application domains and enabling technologies for
cross-surface interactions in the wild, and establish a research
community to develop effective strategies for successful design of
cross-device interactions.

The objective of this workshop is to map the potentials and challenges
derived from the participants' experiences in designing, building and
studying systems in and for the wild from a researchers' and practitioners'
perspective. The potentials and challenges will be organized around
three main topics:

1. Conceptual Models For Spatial Interactions
How can we conceptualize, describe and model multi-device interaction
within a space? Which social, spatial or psychological theories and
frameworks can be employ to help characterize spatial interactions? How do
we translate such theories to interaction design, system research and
multi-device representations?

2. Spatial Tracking “in the wild”
Which tracking technologies and tools can be used to support “in the wild”
spatial interfaces and designs? How can these technologies be deployed,
democratized and shared with a broader audience?

3. Control and Intelligibility
How do people make sense of spatially aware cross-surface ecologies?
How can we support discoverability and learnability of interactions, inform
users of action possibilities and provide feedback about cross-surface
connections?

Topics of interest include (but are not limited to):

    * Cross-device interaction
    * Proxemic interaction with cross-device ecologies
    * Artifact and tool ecologies
    * Interactive surfaces and spaces
    * Interaction challenges with multi- and cross-surface interactions
    * Discoverability of possible cross-device interactions
    * Multi-device ubicomp ecologies
    * Interactions across multiple surfaces
    * Cross-device interactions using both mobiles and wearables
      (e.g., smartwatches)
    * Multi-device interactions
    * Spatial reconfigurations of displays
    * Spatially distributed interfaces
    * Multi-screen workplaces
    * Distributed user interfaces

*Submissions*
-------------

We solicit position papers of up to 4 pages in the ACM SIGCHI Extended
Abstracts Format that describe original research and outline a person’s
interest and experience in the workshop topic. Submissions will be
juried by the organizing committee based on originality and relevance
and selected papers will be made available on the workshop website
beforehand. Supplementary material (e.g., videos) can be submitted as
well and will also be made available on the website.

Contributions must be submitted through the EasyChair submission system
and should be in PDF format. More details can be found on the workshop
website. If you have any further questions, we encourage you to contact
the organizers at <s.houben [at] ucl.ac.uk, jo.vermeulen [at] ucalgary.ca,
clemens [at] cs.au.dk>.

*Organizing Committee*

Steven Houben (University College London, UK)
Jo Vermeulen (University of Calgary, Canada)
Clemens Klokmose (Aarhus University, Denmark)
Johannes Schöning (Hasselt University, Belgium)
Nicolai Marquardt (University College London, UK)
Harald Reiterer (University of Konstanz, Germany)