From:
Albrecht Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Albrecht Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jan 2017 21:48:44 +0000
Winter School on Human Computer Interaction in the Age of Artificial Intelligence: Challenges in Interacting with Social Media and Complex Information
Friday, 3rd February - Friday, 10th February 2017 at the Söllerhaus in Hirschegg (Austria)
http://www.hcilab.org/winterschool/

**** Theme
The amount of information captured in our daily lives has become huge and complex. Mobile sensing and computing technologies allow continuous capturing and sharing of data ranging from sensor data to media content such as photos and videos. Usage of data and media consumption has become truly ubiquitous and is embedded in everyday actions. Understanding this information and making sense of it is a key challenge that is becoming increasingly important for the entire population. Machine learning and artificial intelligence provide many opportunities for automation and personalization of media and interfaces. This enables amazingly targeted user experience but at the same time introduces the risk of creating personal bubbles and echo-chambers.

User interfaces and interaction mechanisms combined with machine learning and AI techniques have a strong impact on how we capture information, how we perceive it, how we make sense of it, and how we share it with others. As more and more of our perception is mediated through computing technologies it becomes important that the designers and developers of data-heavy applications understand the implications of their designs, its implementations, and the impact of automation steps used. The main purpose of this winter school is to teach human-computer interaction in the context of complex information systems and to educate students on how to design and develop efficient and enjoyable interfaces that enable the interaction with complex information and ubiquitous media.

**** Topics
* An Introduction to AI and machine learning for human-computer interaction
* An Introduction to human-computer interaction in the context of complex and ubiquitous media
* Interfaces that combine explicit interaction, activity awareness, and machine learning
* Selection, navigation, and filtering of semantically-rich large data sets
* Novel user interfaces for mobile, wearable, and embedded platforms
* User-centered design in the context of large and complex information spaces
* Prototyping ubiquitous computing and ubiquitous media interfaces and interaction for large data volumes
* Evaluation of ubiquitous media interfaces and quantification of interface design decisions

These topics will be addressed in a series of lectures covering relevant methods, concepts, and technologies. Practical knowledge in topics such as physiological sensing, gaze interaction, and machine learning will be acquired in hands-on tutorials.

**** Lecturers
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Thomas Herrmann , Ruhr-University of Bochum, Germany
Prof. Dr. Paul Lukowicz, DFKI Kaiserslautern, Germany
Prof. Dr. Albrecht Schmidt, University of Stuttgart, Germany
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Katrin Wolf, Hamburg University of Applied Science, Germany
Prof. Dr. Thomas Olsson, Tampere University of Technology, Finland
Dr. Stefan Schneegass, University of Stuttgart, Germany
Dr. Pawel Wozniak, University of Stuttgart, Germany

**** Registrations and Fee
The fee for participation is 100€ per participants. The registration fee covers participation in all lectures, accommodation for 7 nights in shared rooms, and breakfast and dinner. If you plan to go skiing, additional costs may arise. Language of instruction is English.

For details please see
http://www.hcilab.org/winterschool/

The winter school is supported by the following European projects: Amplify and Cimplex.

Albrecht Schmidt
---
Human Computer Interaction Group
VIS