From:
Carman Neustaedter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carman Neustaedter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2017 15:48:05 -0700
Simon Fraser University’s School of Interactive Arts and Technology (SIAT) invites candidates to apply to our graduate program.

Apply now:
http://siats.ca/apply <http://siats.ca/apply>

Learn more:
http://siats.ca/more <http://siats.ca/more>

Application Deadline: January 15, 2018

The School of Interactive Arts & Technology (SIAT) is an internationally
recognized interdisciplinary school with a focus on technology and the human
experience. SIAT MSc., MA, and Ph.D. students develop and apply innovative
multi-disciplinary research methods to explore the broader implications of
advanced information and media technologies. Guided by these studies, they
design new technology and media experiences that are responsive to individual,
organizational, and societal values. SIAT’s infrastructure includes state-of-the-
art teaching and research facilities, and is further enhanced by the capabilities
and resources of our many university collaborators and partner organizations in
the public and private sectors, which also provide opportunities for internships.
Students admitted to our graduate program can expect to receive funding for
multiple years in the form of scholarships and/or research and teaching
assistantships. SIAT graduate students are mentored in interdisciplinary
research methods and various forms of dissemination, such as international
academic publishing, conference presentation, or curation and exhibition of
media arts, both locally and abroad.

Our program’s unique focus, which brings together experts and students from a
variety of backgrounds, such as media arts, human-computer interaction,
design, computing, and social science, prepares graduates for diverse careers in
the technology sector and in academia. SIAT alumni hold leading positions in
industry and in tenure-track positions in institutions around the world.
Our specialized areas of research include, but are not limited to, the following:
Interactive Computing: visualization and visual analytics, human-
computer interaction, artificial intelligence, tangible interfaces, virtual
and augmented reality, learning technologies, game technology, domestic
computing and other themes

Media, Visual Arts and Performance: performance technology,
interactive animation, interactive environments and installations, game
narrative, film and video, audio/music, digital curation, and other themes

Design: interaction design, sustainable design, parametric design,
immersion design, experience design, participatory design, game design,
museum design, design for children and the elderly, and related themes

People: cognitive, perceptual, and social psychology, anthropology and
ethnography of media, history, user modeling, chronic pain management,
and health data management

Science of Interaction: uses the scientific method to develop and test
theories of human perceptual, cognitive, interactive, and communicative
performance that are used to design, prototype, and evaluate interactive
systems in their context of use.

SIAT, at Simon Fraser University’s (SFU) Surrey campus, is located directly on
the main rapid transit line to downtown Vancouver. Located between the
mountains and the sea, Metro Vancouver is home to one of the central nodes of
Canada’s cultural and entertainment industry and much of its digital media
production. The region’s rich cultural, natural and intellectual resources make it
one of the world’s most desirable places to live, study and work. SIAT, a unit of
the Faculty of Communication, Art and Technology (FCAT), is a member of
many local, national, and international networks, and has strong connections to
leading companies.

Visit our website for more information on the admissions process
http://siats.ca/more <http://siats.ca/more>

Consider liking our Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/SIATSFU/ <https://www.facebook.com/SIATSFU/>
or follow us on Twitter
https://twitter.com/SIAT_SFU <https://twitter.com/SIAT_SFU>
to see what we are up to and learn about our latest news, research, and
exhibitions.