From:
Nicolai Marquardt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nicolai Marquardt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Dec 2016 18:49:26 +0000
We would like to invite you to participate in our workshop ‘HCI Tools:
Strategies and Best Practices for Designing, Evaluating and Sharing
Technical HCI Toolkits’
organised at ACM CHI 2017 in Denver, Colorado, USA
(https://chi2017.acm.org/) by Nicolai Marquardt (University College
London), Steven Houben (Lancaster University), Michel Beaudouin-Lafon
(Université Paris-Sud) and Andy Wilson (Microsoft Research).

Website with information and submission:
http://hci.tools/

IMPORTANT DATES
10 February 2017: Final deadline for paper submissions. Position papers
submitted before 20 December 2016 will be considered for the early
acceptance round. See below for details.
20 February 2017: Notifications of acceptance.
24 February 2017: Submission of camera ready papers.
7 May 2017: Workshop day!

OVERVIEW
Over the years, toolkits have been designed to facilitate the rapid
prototyping of novel designs for graphical user interfaces, physical
computing, fabrication, tangible interfaces and ubiquitous computing.
However, although evaluation methods for HCI are widely available,
particular techniques and approaches to evaluate technical toolkit
research are less well developed. Moreover, it is unclear what kind of
contribution and impact technical toolkits can bring to the larger HCI
community.

In this workshop we aim to bring together leading researchers in the
field to discuss challenges and opportunities to develop new methods and
approaches to design, evaluate, disseminate and share toolkits.
Furthermore, we will discuss the technical, methodological and enabling
role of toolkits for HCI research.

OBJECTIVES
The central goal of the workshop is to develop a longterm research
agenda around toolkits for HCI from the perspectives and experience of
HCI researchers in designing, building and sharing toolkits. We
particularly focus on four main themes:

T1: Taxonomy and Trends in Toolkit – the first theme is aimed at mapping
the historical context of toolkits in HCI. We are interested in
synthesizing seminal publications, toolkits and systems that have
influenced the field and shaped research directions. Furthermore, we
intend to map out recent trends and developments in toolkit designs in
order to produce a taxonomy of toolkits that can help provide overview
of the role of toolkits in HCI. What kind of toolkits were introduced in
HCI? Which (type of) toolkits were successful in enabling new research?
Which toolkits were less successful, and what can we learn from them?

T2: Strategies for Designing and Building Toolkits – The goal of the
second theme of the workshop is to enumerate a number of successful and
failed strategies for designing and building toolkits. We are
particularly interested in summarizing the motives, goals and ambitions
of toolkit papers, as well as the approaches that were taken to achieve
these goals. Why should we design toolkits? How does one architect and
design a toolkit? Who is the toolkit aimed at and what does the toolkit
enable?

T3: Methods for Evaluating Toolkits – The third theme focuses on
exploring previous methods used to evaluate toolkits and frameworks to
build a comprehensive toolbox for evaluating toolkits. This theme is
aimed at designing a new set of criteria and evaluation methods that can
be used by authors when developing toolkits. How does one evaluate a
toolkit? What are characteristics or properties of well-designed or
impactful toolkits? What methods or approaches can be used to evaluate
toolkits?

T4: Toolkits as a Research Method for HCI – The final theme explores the
methodological and conceptual role of toolkits within HCI research. It
is often difficult and unclear how to articulate the precise research
contribution of toolkits. This theme draws inspiration from design
research and engineering to propose new ways in which toolkit design can
be positioned as a research method for HCI. What is the role of toolkits
within HCI? How can we establish toolkit design as a research method?
What are the contributions of a toolkit paper?

ATTENDING THE WORKSHOP
We solicit position papers of up to 4 pages (including references) in
the standard ACM SIGCHI Paper format (so not the normal extended
abstract format) that describes:

1. three challenges or opportunities for toolkit research (technical
challenges, methodological issues, theoretical developments, historical
overviews,..)
3. three successful toolkits (widely cited, interesting concepts,
enabled other research,…)
2. a brief overview of your past work, position on toolkits in HCI, and
suggestions for topics to discuss in the workshop.

Submissions will be juried by the organising committee based on
originality and relevance and selected papers will be made available on
the workshop website beforehand. The final deadline for the papers are
10 February, 2016. Papers submitted before 20 December 2016 will be
considered for the early acceptance round (see
https://chi2017.acm.org/workshops.html). Please note that at least one
author of each accepted position paper must attend the workshop  and
that all participants must register for both the workshop and for at
least one day of the conference.

Submission at: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=hcitools2016
More information: http://hci.tools/

ORGANISERS
Nicolai Marquardt is a Senior Lecturer (Associate Professor) in Physical
Computing at the University College London. At the UCL Interaction
Centre he works on projects in the research areas of ubiquitous
computing, interactive surfaces, sensor-based systems, prototyping
toolkits, and physical user interfaces.

Steven Houben is a Lecturer (Assistant Professor) in Interactive Systems
in the School of Computing and Communications at Lancaster University.
His research goals are to design, build and evaluate Cross-Device
Interactive Systems and Physical Computing devices for human-data
interaction and information handling.

Michel Beaudouin-Lafon is a Professor of Computer Science at Université
Paris-Sud and a senior member of the Institut Universitaire de France.
His research interests include fundamental aspects of interaction,
engineering of interactive systems, computer supported cooperative work
and novel interaction techniques. His current research is conducted in
the Ex Situ group, a joint lab between LRI and INRIA.

Andy Wilson is a Principal Researcher at Microsoft Research. His
research is focused on applying sensing techniques to enable new styles
of human-computer interaction. He directs the Natural Interaction
Research group at Microsoft Research.