CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
Tim Semen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tim Semen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2007 19:51:46 +1000
In a previous life I did some testing around these two types of search
results pages.

In the "categories on the left" model, users were more apt to miss the
categories and focused on the search results on the right.  If the item they
were interested in was not present in the results, they tended to re-search.

In the "categories on the top" model, users not only saw the categories but
also felt like they were forced into using them.  Products below the
categories were often missed depending on how many categories there were.

I think it breaks down like this: if you have faith in your search engine
(and Amazon probably does since they built they A9 thing) put your
categories on the left.  If you don't have faith in it, put your categories
top and center.

Ultimately, we went with the categories in the center.

My .02

Tim